OFF: Pink Fairies

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu Nov 13 13:05:55 EST 1997

> Speaking of the Fairies, does anyone know if they produced other records in
>  the same league as "Kings"?
> I got the more recent "Kill 'em and eat 'em", but it sounds pretty pale in
> comparison, although granted the lineup is
> different.
>
> Chris

The core PF album discography is pretty brief:

Never Never Land [1971]
What a Bunch of Sweeties [1972]
Kings of Oblivion [1973]
Best of... (?) [1976-ish, not sure of the exact title because I don't have it
- but it's got the legendary "Snake" single, which makes it important]
Live at the Roundhouse 1975 [1982, lovely shocking pink vinyl]
Kill 'em and Eat 'em [1987]

Then there's a few peripheral Twink and Larry things which came out under the
PF brand, plus Paul Rudolph's new PF albums like _Pleasure Island_.  And the
"Between the Lines" 7" on Stiff.

Anyway, "Sweeties" is totally essential, and "Live" is pretty tasty too.
 "NNL" is a bit hippy-ish in places but does have the essential "Do It" and
"Uncle Harry's Last Freak-Out", so it's worth searching for too.  "Kings" was
much more metal, due to Larry Wallis' arrival, mostly.  "Kill/Eat" was a
somewhat lukewarm reunion album.  The reunion tour was only so/so, from the
gig I went to anyway (Larry Wallis' solo gig at the Cricketers in '86,
though, now you're talking!).

I you like those, then you have to start moving onto the Deviants/Mick Farren
stuff, about which I've gone on enough on this list already!

- Andy