BOC-L Digest - 9 Nov 1997 to 10 Nov 1997

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Fri Nov 14 10:57:34 EST 1997

>> From:    Ron Jennings <sprawl at STARLINX.COM>
>> Subject: Re: HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!)
>>
>> > The problem with albums like Electric Tepe, It Is The Business... and
Alien
>> > 4 is that they are too long, there are plenty of songs that could be
>> > 'classics' but they fall together with all the crap that comes with
them on
>> > these albums. There are more albums suffering from the same disease,
Rush -
>> > Counterparts and Test For Echo, David Bowie - outside, Yes - Union etc
etc.

I thought David Bowie's Outside album was very good, mainly because for
years he has been putting out an awful lot of mindless pap (even Mr. Bowie
himself thinks so!). It was a refreshing return to what he does best, and
was less of the dull dance songs he was doing for a long long time.
Genesis's last album with Mr. Collins was the same.
Both of the above albums were longer than usual for them. By the way, anyone
heard the new Genesis album, and is it a return to the good old days as they
claim?

>I'd like Hawkwind to release an album compiled with all spacey/musical or
>all punky - that way I could play an appropriate album dependant
>upon my mood, which as you might have gathered from the tone of this
>posting is definatley 'punk' today. Grrrrrr

I would agree here as well. It's also a good way of playing an album of
theirs to the unconverted. If you know what that person may be interested
in, then you can pick the album. Some albums are helpful this way, such as
White Zone and It Is The Business, which I managed to convert a friend who
liked Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, etc., over with. The Bridgett Wishart
material is helpful in getting some females who previously thought of HW as
one of those HM macho type bands interested in them. Complete misconception,
but some people, particularly this side of Australia, think that way!
And the Calvert material proves to others that there are just as many great
unknown songwriters in this sort of band.

William