HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!)

Fri Nov 14 13:23:11 EST 1997

> From:          Kenneth Magnusson <bishop.garden at FALKOPING.MAIL.TELIA.COM>

> >    Though good songs and performances can carry bad production.  After
> >all, first albums from the >Beatles and Black Sabbath involved simply
> >walking into the studio and recording for about 13 hours >... and are
> >still classics!
>
> But that brings us close to a live situation, doesn't it ? I think that an
> uninspired and overwork production is worse than an inspired
> under-production. A fast and primitive production isn't synonymous with
> bad. Bootlegs, for example, are generally better than official live
> releases due to the atmosphere You get with the bootlegs, why aren't there
> live-albums like All the world's a stage and Space Ritual anymore, well,
> the sound is too good.

Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy is regarded by a lot of folks to be
one of the best live albums ever.  Somebody posted to the TL list
some remarks from Tony Visconti [TL producer] He said that they
started out with polishing up one track by replacing a blown line of
lyrics.  Then they liked the way it sounded, and things snowballed.
They wound up re-recording virtually the entire album so that
eventually became a studio record!  Maybe that's why boots often
sound so cool?  Because they weren't fucked with in the studio...

theo