HW: Random thoughts

Kevin Sommers novadrive at PANGEATECH.COM
Sat Nov 15 03:53:31 EST 1997

As I've just very recently joined this list (I suppose it's about time, as I've been
mentioned in for a couple years now...), and am trying to catch up on the
archives, I have a few random thoughts and tidbits:

Ambient Anarchists:  I kinda like the cover, but five different uses of the original QS&C
    cover in the packaging? (maybe they're making up for Griffin almost completely
    ignoring it in their otherwise excellent QS&C box...)
    I hate packaging with factual details wrong, but on the other hand, I like PXR5
    a little bit better than High Rise anyway.
    I don't think the Reconstructed version of Sonic Attack belonged on there, as it
    wasn't really Hawkwind (but yes, I think Dave's solo stuff did belong).
    I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I do believe that Love In Space
    is the version performed on VH-1 on 4/14/96.  An excellent version, I might add, with
    plenty of Dave's guitar.

Favorite Hawkwind moments:  Hearing them (Warrior...!) for the first time in a little college
    record store in '83; seeing them at Strange Daze '97; and everything in-between.

Are albums too long?: NO!  Besides, if you don't like certain tracks, program your CD
    player to skip them, and let the rest of us enjoy them.

New version of Black Sword video: Does it have a different cover than the old one (or the
    video-CD)?  Does it have the same tinny sound, uh, quality?

New version of Treworgey Tree Fayre video:  What's the best way to get ahold of this (in
    NTSC, preferably)?  And how about the Brixton Academy Calvert tribute?
    Who is the guitarist in the encore?  I've never seen him mentioned anywhere (Bernhard?).
    Jerry maybe?

Live Legends video:  I liked tutu-girl on stage, but not on camera almost to the complete
    exclusion of the band  (maybe a video just of her dancing and, uh, other things... Heh
    heh heh, .... heh heh)

>the only "filler" from hawkwind that i find bothersome has been that whitney
>houston rip-off on brock's solo, Strange Trips. I'm still hoping he meant that as
>some sick joke. ;) (from Ron Jennings):  Uh, I guess I'm missing something.  What are
    you referring to?  If you mean the intro to Somethings Going On, I certainly took it
    to be a joke (maybe sick, maybe not).  And I do like DITJ, most certainly a sick joke.

Hawkwind repeating themselves:  I just listened to the newest Yes CD, Keys To Ascension,
    and in a scientifically-conducted listening test, I'd be hard-pressed to tell the differences
    between that and Yessongs, despite them being recorded 25 years apart.  On the other
    hand, this year's Brainstorm is markedly different from last year's, which is very different
    from the year before...  If they (Hawkwind) do songs with similar themes, similar chord
    progressions, even the same lyrics,  I say So what? (compelling argument, eh?)  They'll
    all be different, and, I daresay, all good.  Besides, I kinda like the self-references and the
    links with the past.
    I just hope that the same people who don't agree aren't the same ones who say "I don't
    like (insert album name here), because it doesn't sound like (insert other album).  Dave
    has said, on numerous occasions (in essence) that variety is the spice of Hawkwind, and
    he'll always keep us guessing.

In closing:  The day that all Hawkfans start agreeing, I'm going to grab firmly onto the nearest
    large object, because I think the Earth will stop spinning....