HW - Rarest?

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Nov 16 15:40:25 EST 1997

Jeremy Dacombe writes:

> What is the general concensus of opinion regarding the highest value HW
> items?
> My reason for asking is that if I ever saw, say, The Buskers LP or the
> VDGG/HW air forces LP I doubt whether I'd buy them, cos they wouldn't add
> anything, musically to my collection.

hmph - well here's my view for what it's worth

the two Hassan I Sahba 7" singles
Mind Journey boot (this probably does exist but only in very small
quantities)
Hawkwind/Jefferson Starship Air Forces LP (I've heard of someone who
once saw a copy of this for sale in a 2nd hand shop somewhere but that's
the only sighting I know of)
The VDGG/HW Swedish "Rock On" album (this may be very common in Sweden
and someone told me once he had "a cupboard full of them...." but they
are as emphemeral as shadows whenever you try to pin down the location
of one)
The Japanese vinyl issue of "Doremi Fasol Latido" album with Silver
Machine track
The Spanish vinyl issue of "In Search of Space" with Silver Machine
track

Most of the other overseas stuff is also fairly rare but (on the whole)
less expensive when eventually found:

Lord of Light/Born To Go, German 7"
Psychedelic WArlords/Hall of the Mountain Grill/D-Rider/Wind of Change,
US promo ep
You'd Better Belive It/Paradox
Kings of Speed (mono/stereo), US promo
Silver Machine/Seen by Seven/Lord of Light/Born to Go, German double 7"
pack
Quark Strangness and Charm/Iron Dream, GErman 7"
Psi Power, long/short, US 7" and 12"

Uk rarities are:

Hurry on Sundown 7"  (up to 100 pounds)
Kings of Speed 7" with pic sleeve (not entirely unfindable but always
expensive)
Sonic Attack 7" promo - in cloth bag (there are some around but check
for frauds - around 100 pounds with the bag)
Hawkfan 12 (not strictly all Hawkwind but there's enough to make it
collectable - with all bits and the plastic bag it's almost unfindable
anywhere unless you get very lucky - almost priceless I'd say!)
Glastonbury Fayre (with all bits is often for sale but always expensive,
around 100 pounds)   There's a double CD version of this which is worth
a reasonable sum.
****************
Buskers (not unfindable and you can get a very cheap price for it when
you do locate a copy because almost no-one except for Hawkwind fans want
to collect it!)
Greasy Truckers is fairly readily found
Travellers Aid Trust album (*with* the extra track) probably doesn't
exist anywhere now
Bristol Custom Bike Show is fairly rare
All the recent one-off bootleg CDs  (but since these could be reissued
at any time this should be viewed with caution!)
The bootleg vinyls (Stonehenge and Watchfield, The New York one)
Some of the 12" EPs and singles
Original album covers in good condition (Xenon Codex and In Search
of Space are often torn)
Roadhawks with the Star Rats poster
The original Pete Frame family tree
The Hawklords Calvert booklet

and after that most things should be availableish

except for the Moorock and Calvert stuff which can fetch fairly high
prices!

> I realise that their value is purely what someone is prepared to pay for
> them, but what ranks as the top 20 highly priced items amongst collectors?

I would certainly expect to be asked to pay 100 pounds or more for the
top UK rarities (down to Glastonbury Fayre in the above list), around 20
pounds for the others (decreasing as you go down the list) most of the
overseas stuff (second list) is usually priced around 20 - 30 pounds and
as for the invisibles - well I'd pay whatever I felt I could manage just
then I guess!

But WARNING!!!!   only Kollectors like myself and a few others I know
are liable to make an offer for these!   Practically every track in
the above lists is easily and cheaply available elsewhere on CD
(probably better quality too!) so this is a fairly limited field.
Certainly I've found that where a CD version is available very few
folk want the vinyl as well!

Hope I haven't forgotten anything!
Good luck

jill