HW: Wishart

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Nov 17 08:25:23 EST 1997

John Majka writes:

> >> Wishart was a pro, and sang in tune 100% of the time (!) but her stage
> >> presence (costume changes, a few props) seemed more suited to the cheesy
> >> amateur theatrics of an 80's neo-prog outfit than the mighty 'Wind.
>
> How odd, because Hawkwind's opinion was almost exactly the opposite!  They
> said she was great in terms of theatrics etc. on stage, but she often had
> problems singing in tune (although I don't know why that should concern
> Hawkwind, considering that Alan and Nik, for example, were hardly ever in
> tune when singing).  I liked seeing her costumes/dancing etc.  I thought it
> was cool.  I liked her voice as well, at least on recorded things, but it's
> true that her voice was a little lacking live.

I didn't think that Wishart's antics on stage were at all out of place
for Hawkwind. We're talking about a band who've had nude dancers,
members dressed in silver paint, jugglers, fire eaters, people playing
with swords, people dressed as aliens, people dressed as mad professors,
Nik's punk clown act.

A tutu and a few bandages are somehow outrageous in the light of all
this?

Nah.

> John Majka

FoFP