HW : live albums and overproduction

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Mon Nov 17 09:26:00 EST 1997

On 15 Nov 10:45, Mark Edmonds wrote:
> This is so weird! I switch on the hi-fi and load up the Business Trip
> which immediately reminds me about the "audience noise" complaint I've
> always had of this album and then Scott posts the above!
>
> Does anyone else find the cheering on this album off putting? To me it
> sounds too fake and there is the whole audience cheering when they
> recognise a song within about 2 seconds of it starting - normally an
> impossible feat, especially given that so many HW riffs are similar.

I do find the cheering off-putting, at least on LSD.  I'm not sure
why, it just sounds wrong.  On the other hand, I do remember cheering
each song as I recognised it, and when I saw them the sound was crystal
clear and the songs easily recognisable.  It's not hard to recognise
The Golden Void, Psychedelic Warlords (not on the album), Do That,
Visions Of You're Only Dreaming, Living In The Future, etc.  Also,
the audience might be cheering the arrival of a dancer, or a particular
back-projected image.

> It has to be fake audience noise to my ears and it spoils what is
> otherwise quite a good album.
>
> Comments?

I think it's an excellent album, once it gets going.

> Mark

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.