OFF: more Swedish chefs (was: HW: the ICU CDrom!!!!)

Daniel Wikdahl mpj95wid at MC.HIK.SE
Mon Nov 17 12:40:05 EST 1997

>Ah! Here it's called "kumle", or even funnier, "raspeball" (meaning
>"grated ball" (ouch!)!!!). Served with mashed turnips, which as we all know,
>are the will of Satan to mash, and should be eaten raw and whole as
>God intended.

No, I don't know anything about turnips. And I'll try not to learn anything
either. Never.
I'm trying to find out the big difference 'tween "kroppkakor" (=bodycakes) and
Pitepalt... but I can't. If Henrik is out there somewhere maybe he can help?

>Tyttebær!

Ha ha! :-) :-)
Tuttbär!!!

>>Ever tried "Jansons Frestelse"? Or "Bullens Pilsnerkorv" ?
>
>Jansons Frestelse is like mashed stinky burned kippers with some cream
>poured on it or something isn't it??

Nothing stinky and nothing burned. I'm not sure what a kipper is...
If it's made of herring... well, maybe... it's called ansjovis...
You can make a delicious Janson in just ten minutes:
Just layer sliced potatoes, with sliced onion and "ansjovis" - then pour
cream on it and put it in the oven. Some people like to have breadcrumbs
on top it, I don't find it necessary.

>I take the latter is a beer sausage??

Well, no... AFAK there is no beer in the recipe.
But the sausages are good to eat when you're drinking beer.
You can only buy them in cans (preserved?). The can has a quite appealing
design... it hasn't changed much since the '40s. You boil the sausages.

>Who is Bullen? Who is Janson? those sick swedish chefs....

I think Bullen was the owner of the sausage factory and Janson was an
operasinger or maybe an actor. AFAK none of them was a chef.
Can be wrong though.

>Well any semi barbaric peasant can brew crude potato spirits but only
>cultured people can make a good beer! :-) (why US can't make good beer, at
>least not proportionally to the population :-)

I like Samuel Adams a lot! But that's also the only one I can think of
right know... Norwegian beer have I never tasted (don't start that Pripps
discussion again Christian :-)... but I'm sick and tired of
the Ringnes comercials on tv.
"Inte har du vel slepet öl hele vejen opp hit kjempefar/stompefar/whatever"
"Nej inte jeg... men du". Dunk dunk klirr klirr. And then you're supposed to
laugh.
Finnish beer is awful... but their comercials is at least funny!

I'm curious about the Finnish kitchen 'cos when was in Helsinki this summer
I wanted to eat something finnish but the only thing girls I was living with
could think of was Pizza! We ate pizza every day. And I'm pretty sure that
the Pizza not is a finnish invention.

>>My father was involved in the building of some hotels
>>(and bunkers, I suppose :-) in Bagdad before the Gulfwar.
>>The bloody yanks bombed the whole city and maybe will do it again.
>>You bastards! ;-) That's what I call the ultimate conflict 'tween
>>Sweden and the US (poor dad, you should know that he's a glazier!
>
>I thought for a moment you had buried him in the ice!

Ha ha, don't do that to me! Now I got so nervous so had to go and look
the word up...

>My stepdad bought a video of Desert Storm assembled by the guiding hands
>of Scheisskopf and Ted Turner. Talk about buying into the propaganda!

Dessert Storm = Smalahove in whipped cream.

Dessert Storm sounds like the title of an HW album and Ted Turner could be
Nik's long lost brother.

I didn't have to buy any video. CNN fooled me anyway.

>PS: if I had a choice I'd also take three helpings of pitpalt over smalahove.

I really would like to taste it sometime! Honestly.

                            mvh -Daniel

PS Who was Smalahove? :-) DS

"Byalagen är rådgivare åt de politiska nämnderna, så är det."
                                        -Joachim Håkansson

Daniel Wikdahl
Kaptensgatan 2a
S-39 236 KALMAR