HW : 1999 Party ROCKS, TOO!!

Alasdair Macdonald alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK
Mon Nov 17 13:33:01 EST 1997

On 15 Nov 97 at 11:07, Jon Browne wrote:

> 30 seconds after being handed the discs, here's the track listing.....
>
> CD1
> 1 Intro/ Standing On the Edge
> 2 Brainbox Pollution
> 3 It's So Easy
> 4 You Know You're Only Dreaming
> 5 Veterans Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
> 6 Brainstorm
> 7 Seven By Seven
>
> CD2
> 1 The Watcher
> 2 The Awakening
> 3 Paradox
> 4 You'd Better Believe It
> 5 Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear In Smoke)
> 6 D-Rider
> 7 Sonic Attack
> 8 Master Of The Universe
> 9 Welcome To The Future
>
> Beautiful Packaging, Double CD Jewel case in Card sleeve with mini-
> poster. Loads of photos not seen from that tour including a good one of
> Stacia, fully made up, crashed out with a beer can just about to go
> over!

The packaging is indeed uh... somewhat better than DH.

> <bit later>
> Listening to CD2 first, MASSIVE versions of D-Rider and Master Of The
> Universe (Best ever, FACT.)
>
> Oh this is pointless. let's face it, you're not going to get anything
> like an impartial or even useful review of this off me.

Pointless indeed. Just buy it. Take the day off work & buy it
goddamit.

> It's amazing. Space Ritual x 5. It's like hearing SR for the first time,
> all fresh!
>
> Absolutley 100% essential.    100%
>
> but you knew that already, didn't you?
> --
> Jon Browne

There is different material to that on other HW live albums (and I
have no comparable live tapes) so it was very much a fresh experience
for me. I can imagine minor ways in which I'd like it to be
different, but I'm sure those things will maintain my interest as I
become familiar with the discs.

You know how Space Ritual has a cohesiveness - a Space-Ritual-ness
which runs through every groove? - well 1999 Party simply oozes the
quality of HotMG (which I love, and listen to a lot) - and probably
Warriors too (which I listen to rarely).

That should be recommendation enough - although I *suspect* I may be
preaching to the converted here.

Say "YES" to Hawkwind

Alasdair
alimac at netcomuk.co.uk