OFF: more Swedish chefs (was: HW: the ICU CDrom!!!!)

Christian Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Mon Nov 17 15:12:29 EST 1997

>No, I don't know anything about turnips. And I'll try not to learn anything
>either. Never.

Har du aldri spist kålrabistappe?? I thought the Swedish were big on
rootfruits.

>I'm trying to find out the big difference 'tween "kroppkakor" (=bodycakes)
and
>Pitepalt... but I can't. If Henrik is out there somewhere maybe he can help?

ugh.. "bodycakes"... makes me think of turds... or babies...

Another variation on "kumle" and "raspeball" is "kompe" - it's all regional.

>>Tyttebær!
>
>Ha ha! :-) :-)
>Tuttbär!!!

Imagine you are singing a song and say: tyy-yyyyt-ebææær! Tyytteebær! bær!
bær! Tyttebær! It's easy, it's fun, and it sounds even better on helium.

>Nothing stinky and nothing burned. I'm not sure what a kipper is...
>If it's made of herring...

Some smoked fish that dry english people consume for breakfast. I think :)

> well, maybe... it's called ansjovis...
>You can make a delicious Janson in just ten minutes:
>Just layer sliced potatoes, with sliced onion and "ansjovis" - then pour
>cream on it and put it in the oven. Some people like to have breadcrumbs
>on top it, I don't find it necessary.

Well, I was close. I was looking for the word "anchovies" (as it is in
English) but substituted with "kippers"... doesen't matter, I don't like
any kind of preserved fish :)

>Well, no... AFAK there is no beer in the recipe.
>But the sausages are good to eat when you're drinking beer.
>You can only buy them in cans (preserved?). The can has a quite appealing
>design... it hasn't changed much since the '40s. You boil the sausages.

Is it grey? How do you eat it? Is it good for covering up that awful
Pripps taste?

>I think Bullen was the owner of the sausage factory and Janson was an
>operasinger or maybe an actor. AFAK none of them was a chef.
>Can be wrong though.

You see, that's the whole problem. The Swedes allowed a sausage stuffer and
operasinger to invent their cousine :)

(BTW, speaking of sausage stuffing, in the one post you mentioned having sex
to Death Trap... wow... Uncle Bob had a dirty mind indeed: "monkey on elastic!
Going up again! Smell of burning plastic! Krankschaft crankin' up! Death
trap!"
etc..) At least he vividly envisioned people using contraceptives.

>I like Samuel Adams a lot! But that's also the only one I can think of
>right know...

Aha! Sounds like a wild stab in the dark to sound beer-cultured to me!
Go drink that soulless moonshine you peddle to the Americans who will
drink anything with a gimmick :-)

> Norwegian beer have I never tasted (don't start that Pripps
>discussion again Christian :-)... but I'm sick and tired of
>the Ringnes comercials on tv.
>"Inte har du vel slepet öl hele vejen opp hit kjempefar/stompefar/whatever"

haha!

>"Nej inte jeg... men du". Dunk dunk klirr klirr. And then you're supposed to
>laugh.

oh, I did it too soon. Must have been your delivery! :-)

>Finnish beer is awful... but their comercials is at least funny!

The thing is that the Swedes, though a western *EU*ropean nation, are in
many ways a "potato" culture like the slavs, balts (!?), russians and
so on. Anywhere south and west of Sweden there seems to be more of a "grain"
culture, like in No-way and most of Imperial EUrope. (BTW, I newer gradiated
from collidge.)

>I'm curious about the Finnish kitchen 'cos when was in Helsinki this summer
>I wanted to eat something finnish but the only thing girls I was living with
>could think of was Pizza! We ate pizza every day. And I'm pretty sure that
>the Pizza not is a finnish invention.

Well, the Polish didn't invent it, that's for sure. Anyone else here eaten a
strange hot loaf dipped in tomato sauce with a couple of piwo's on the side,
at a lineoleum and steel decorated Irish pub in Lodz called "The Highlander"?
Quite confusing, but the piwo's good anyway.

ObHorror: cultures who put CORN or LEEK on pizza! Ugh!

>Ha ha, don't do that to me! Now I got so nervous so had to go and look
>the word up...

I thought it was some vodka fuelled primitive burial ritual!

>Dessert Storm = Smalahove in whipped cream.
>
>Dessert Storm sounds like the title of an HW album and Ted Turner could be
>Nik's long lost brother.
>
>I didn't have to buy any video. CNN fooled me anyway.

Yeah, but you didn't BUY a piece of plastic to prove it.

>I really would like to taste it sometime! Honestly.

Well, I am glad I never did!

>PS Who was Smalahove? :-) DS

Who? I have never really connected too much with sheep on a
personal level, at least right before they had their heads
severed. Although sometimes I wish I could thank them for
this nice wooly sweater I like to wear. Dig in to that fårikål!

(PS: Smalahove means, in some obscure barbaric rural Norwegian tongue,
"sheepshead")