OFF: more Swedish chefs (was: HW: the ICU CDrom!!!!)

Daniel Wikdahl mpj95wid at MC.HIK.SE
Mon Nov 17 16:28:54 EST 1997

At 09:12 PM 11/17/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Har du aldri spist kålrabistappe?? I thought the Swedish were big on
>rootfruits.

Nepp! At least I aint. I eat potatoes and different shapes and form plus
carrots - but that's it.
Kålrabbistappe sounds dangerous.

>ugh.. "bodycakes"... makes me think of turds... or babies...
>
>Another variation on "kumle" and "raspeball" is "kompe" - it's all regional.

The kroppkake recipes are different in different regions too. The ones
they make down here are not as tasty as the ones they make in the northern parts
of Sweden.

>Imagine you are singing a song and say: tyy-yyyyt-ebææær! Tyytteebær! bær!
>bær! Tyttebær! It's easy, it's fun, and it sounds even better on helium.

Ween will be playing in Sweden this week (and I can't afford to go as usual)
and this sounds like something they could do.

>>Nothing stinky and nothing burned. I'm not sure what a kipper is...
>>If it's made of herring...
>
>Some smoked fish that dry english people consume for breakfast. I think :)

Böckling!

>Well, I was close. I was looking for the word "anchovies" (as it is in
>English) but substituted with "kippers"... doesen't matter, I don't like
>any kind of preserved fish :)

Yes you do! You just don't know it yet.

>>Well, no... AFAK there is no beer in the recipe.
>>But the sausages are good to eat when you're drinking beer.
>>You can only buy them in cans (preserved?). The can has a quite appealing
>>design... it hasn't changed much since the '40s. You boil the sausages.
>
>Is it grey?

No, more like... skincoloured...

>How do you eat it?

In Sweden we usually put them in our mouths, chew and swallow.
How do you do it Norway? :-)

>Is it good for covering up that awful
>Pripps taste?

They complement eachother! Stopp dragging Pripps in the dirt! :-)

>You see, that's the whole problem. The Swedes allowed a sausage stuffer and
>operasinger to invent their cousine :)

The moose invented the meatballs. :-)

>(BTW, speaking of sausage stuffing, in the one post you mentioned having sex
>to Death Trap... wow... Uncle Bob had a dirty mind indeed: "monkey on elastic!
>Going up again! Smell of burning plastic! Krankschaft crankin' up! Death
>trap!" etc..)

Yep!

>At least he vividly envisioned people using contraceptives.

Yes, but we simulated that part. It's lot more fun that way.

 "I've got a silicon chip in my breast." - Geri Spice

>>"Inte har du vel slepet öl hele vejen opp hit kjempefar/stompefar/whatever"
>
>haha!
>
>>"Nej inte jeg... men du". Dunk dunk klirr klirr. And then you're supposed to
>>laugh.
>
>oh, I did it too soon. Must have been your delivery! :-)

It wasn't the beer then? :-)

>The thing is that the Swedes, though a western *EU*ropean nation, are in
>many ways a "potato" culture like the slavs, balts (!?), russians and
>so on. Anywhere south and west of Sweden there seems to be more of a "grain"
>culture, like in No-way and most of Imperial EUrope. (BTW, I newer gradiated
>from collidge.)

I think you're trying to say that Norge should have joined the EU instead
of Sweden... but you don't really dare to say it loud... :-)
Well, it's OK... if I could give away our membership to you you could have
it.
BTW, in Sweden, when people talk about Europe&EU it's like Sweden not is a part
of any of these.
"In Europe they do this and that - but here in Sweden we
do this and that instead"

>Well, the Polish didn't invent it, that's for sure. Anyone else here eaten a
>strange hot loaf dipped in tomato sauce with a couple of piwo's on the side,
>at a lineoleum and steel decorated Irish pub in Lodz called "The Highlander"?
>Quite confusing, but the piwo's good anyway.

Nej, but I've eaten polish dessert on the (in)famous ferry Balanga Queen
with the ditto (in)famous Balanga Ballet Girls onboard ("yes, for a small amont
of money you can dance with one of the girls in private").
I thought it was somekind of creamcake... it ended up just being pure
cream (coloured in green).

>ObHorror: cultures who put CORN or LEEK on pizza! Ugh!

Don't blame the Swedes... (but there was a competition in the radio this summer
 - find the most disgusting pizza in Sweden. Apparently a little pizzashop
in northern Sweden had pizza with ice-cream and chocolatesauce on the menu.
They won. I still wonder if they put on the ice-cream before or after they'd
baked the pizza in the oven.)

>>I didn't have to buy any video. CNN fooled me anyway.
>
>Yeah, but you didn't BUY a piece of plastic to prove it.

No, I feel stupid anyway.

>>I really would like to taste it sometime! Honestly.
>
>Well, I am glad I never did!

Fegis! :-)

>>PS Who was Smalahove? :-) DS
>
>Who? I have never really connected too much with sheep on a
>personal level, at least right before they had their heads
>severed. Although sometimes I wish I could thank them for
>this nice wooly sweater I like to wear. Dig in to that fårikål!

Oh, I thought it was a relative. :-)

>(PS: Smalahove means, in some obscure barbaric rural Norwegian tongue,
>"sheepshead")

Yes, I know... I've been taking Norwegian lessons you know... :-)

                            mvh - Daniel (leaving the room for a while to
work!)

"Byalagen är rådgivare åt de politiska nämnderna, så är det."
                                        -Joachim Håkansson

Daniel Wikdahl
Kaptensgatan 2a
S-39 236 KALMAR