HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!) (Forward)

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Nov 18 01:40:37 EST 1997

In article <3.0.2.32.19971115194029.00714b10 at online.no>, Christian
Mumford <cannibal at CUTEY.COM> writes

>My contenders for lame HW tunes:
>
>Love In Space (flame on!!!!! Lame In Space??)
>Waiting For Tomorrow (just love Huw's flat, slurred
>                        vocal delivery and Thompson's drumming
>                        with his forehead - IMO boring tune as well)
>Solitary Mind Games (same criteria as above!!!)

<snip>

Had to step in here. Waiting For Tomorrow and SMG (no jokes this time)
are great tracks, especially WFT when they did it live, slightly up
tempo and with a heavier guitar sound.

Someone else also slagged off Dealing with the Devil!! Takes all sorts I
suppose.

Anyway, despite people contending that HW never did a duffer, you have
to be objective about it and there are plenty of them. My overall top
nominee has to be the absolutely dreadful Gimme Shelter on IITBOTFTBD -
it nearly has the same self-strangulation effect that the theme tune to
Neighbours does to me!

Other Golden Turkeys which spring to mind:

The rest of IITBOTFTBD,
Nearly the entire WZ album,
The bulk of A4 - especially the title,
The decision to let Alan do the vocals on The Right Stuff in TBT,
Every song which had Bridget singing,
As near as damnit, the whole of Space Bandits,
Everything except The War I survived and Wastelands on XC,
and I'd better stop.

OK, so I've slagged a lot of stuff off there but its not without careful
thought.

Mark
(pulling on flame retardant overalls)