HW : Too long albums (was NEW ALBUM ROCKS!!!!) (Forward)

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Tue Nov 18 07:11:26 EST 1997

I'm always surprised to hear what other people think sucks/is cool!

>Other Golden Turkeys which spring to mind:
>
>The rest of IITBOTFTBD,
>Nearly the entire WZ album,
>The bulk of A4 - especially the title,
>The decision to let Alan do the vocals on The Right Stuff in TBT,
>Every song which had Bridget singing,
>As near as damnit, the whole of Space Bandits,
>Everything except The War I survived and Wastelands on XC,
>and I'd better stop.

The animosity against IITBOTHTBD is beyond my understanding!  I was terribly
pleased when I first brought this album home and put it on, thinking "All
right!  Another Hawkwind masterpiece!  The band is daring enough to have
great variety without ever letting me down."  I really like that album,
though I admit that Gimme Shelter isn't that great, and I would have
preferred new songs to the remakes on the second half of the CD.  The
instrumental stuff is fine though.  I also liked Bridget's voice.  I liked
Xenon Codex.  So here's my turn to piss people off by saying what I haven't
liked by Hawkwind....
1)Xenomorph (just a really bland song)
2)Sadness Runs Deep (appropriate for a Brock solo album maybe, but awful for
Electric Tepee)
3)Song of the Swords (this is as cheese-metal as Hawkwind ever got.  I play
it to horrify people)
4) Needle Gun (why why why do they keep playing this silly number?)
5) I don't mind the cover to Warrior on the Edge of Time, but it seems most
Hawkfans think it's the best-ever album cover, which I just don't understand...
there are much better ones!
6) Lighthouse (This Tim Blake number always makes me cringe)
I think that's about it for me.
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org