HW: 1999 Party lineup?

Alun Hughes a.hughes at NEWI.AC.UK
Wed Nov 19 12:26:15 EST 1997

>It starts as "lumbering, shapeless, endless drivel" (to quote Alun),
>but comes together until it's "just awesome" (to quote Alun again).

Hey, I think it's *all* awesome, but I'm just biased. It's just that
I sometimes wonder what this stuff sounds like to unbelievers ...

I like the unpolished sound on _1999 Party_ - the production on
_Space Ritual_ undoubtedly made the performances sound better than they
"really" were, but this is just good, honest blanga. The duff bits -
Nik's appalling vocals on D-Rider, for example - just make it more
charming.

It's a good job this got released *after* _Distant Horizons_ and not
before, because _DH_ mightn't have got much of a look in. Not that it's
bad (except for Waimea Canyon Drive) but to us old-timers it's not the
same, is it? Mind you, I do like "Batman"^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H"Phetamine
Street" ...

Alun