HW: 1999 Party lineup?

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Thu Nov 20 09:10:00 EST 1997

On 19 Nov 17:26, Alun Hughes wrote:
> I like the unpolished sound on _1999 Party_ - the production on
> _Space Ritual_ undoubtedly made the performances sound better than they
> "really" were, but this is just good, honest blanga. The duff bits -
> Nik's appalling vocals on D-Rider, for example - just make it more
> charming.

I really like Lemmy's backing vocals on It's So Easy.  They're all over
the shop, and utterly magnificent.  This track is almost worth the cost
of the album on its own.  Never has the image of Hawkwind as barbarians
let loose with guitars been more appropriate.  None of your posturing,
they just picked the damn things up and *played*.

Lemmy's backing vocals on Sonic Attack are fun too.  I played the album
at home last night.  The big hi-fi didn't detect any more refinement
in the sound, but it did add weight.  I couldn't play it too loud, so
when I went out back to clean the cats' litter tray, all I could hear
was the distant muttering of a spoken track ... until Lemmy's bellowed
"HIM -- SELF !!"  came echoing down the hall!  Well, it raised a smile
for me.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.