HW on call (was Re: HW: 1999 Party lineup?)

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Thu Nov 20 11:01:00 EST 1997

On 19 Nov 17:41, Carl E. Anderson wrote:
>     Well, I can hum pretty much all the bass part from "Orgone Accumulator"
> :)

I have this bizarre image of a bunch of Oxbridge eccentrics adopting this
as a new sport, and Carl earning a quarter-blue for representing Cambridge
against the Other Place.  And then explaining to a bemused BBC reporter
what an Orgone Accumulator is, and how you can hum one.

>     I like the Tree-period stuff pretty well so far, but don't like Dave
> fading into the background.  You could really hear his guitar right out
> there in the live material from about 92 or so!

I concur.

>     I like a lot of the material from the Calvert years, but find I often
> like it better done by later lineups.  The Calvert-era lineups often tended
> to lack both punch _and_ spaceiness, IMO.

I can agree about the punch, but not the spaciness.

> >>     On the spinoff side, I've got Uncle Nik's _Past or Future_
> >
> > I don't think that much of this.  It's got its good moments, but
> > it's also got its bad moments (like Nik's voice on D-Rider).
>
>     Nik's voice dipped below the passable some time ago :)  I like it
> better than the first Nikwind CD, but now that I have _1999_ I may send it
> back to the warehouse (ooo, except for the cool "Lord of the Hornets" ....)

That's probably my favourite of this album.  Maybe we can persuade the
new line-up to do this one live?

>     The EQ was not good on 1916, but I like the material.  I really like
> the recent Motorhead stuff quite well (Beats the hell out of the recent
> Metallica stuff, anyway :)

I'll have to take your word for that :-)

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.