the truth is out there

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Fri Nov 21 11:49:45 EST 1997

Sorry--I would have edited the subject line with "OFF", but my software
wouldn't let me. :-(

I think it's depressing and frightening that in 1997 people still believe
in nonsense like "Satan" or "the Devil". That foolishness should have been
left in the Dark Ages, where it originated. Evil is a human construct, not
a supernatural one.

As for death metal, etc., being an evil influence, you can say the same
thing about almost any activity or act of expression. The long and the
short of it is that evil or unbalanced people do evil and unbalanced
things. You can't blame their actions on "evil influences", or "Satan".
"The devil made me do it" is yet another excuse in that long human
tradition of refusing to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse