OFF: reply to the truth is out there.

blyoung blyoung at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Nov 21 14:32:22 EST 1997

> Sorry--I would have edited the subject line with "OFF", but my software
> wouldn't let me. :-(

> I think it's depressing and frightening that in 1997 people still believe
> in nonsense like "Satan" or "the Devil". That foolishness should have been
> left in the Dark Ages, where it originated. Evil is a human construct, not
> a supernatural one.

What makes 1997 so modern?  Why should people in 1997 be any more
enlightened than people in the Dark Ages?  Just because we have better
education, better communication, etc does not FORCE people to have
enlightened opinions.

Now, I disagree with you about Satan.  It's your opinion that there is
no such thing, so I don't know if you are an athiest or just an
agnostic, or whatever, but it's just an opinion nonetheless.  My opinion
is different, but it's only valid to myself...

I believe that there IS such a thing as the devil, but I don't agree
with the common perception of a "goat horned redskinned wicked-laughing
incarnation".  I also believe in a God that is not a dispassionate,
remote observer, but actually a loving God who cares about his people.

So whatever, that not's the point.  I wish you would just state your
BELIEF, or your OPINION, instead of making the presumption that your
opinion is scientific proof.  Why use the word "foolishness"?  Where are
your scientific proofs that Satan does not exist?

> As for death metal, etc., being an evil influence, you can say the same
> thing about almost any activity or act of expression. The long and the
> short of it is that evil or unbalanced people do evil and unbalanced
> things. You can't blame their actions on "evil influences", or "Satan".
> "The devil made me do it" is yet another excuse in that long human
> tradition of refusing to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

Yeah, I agree with you here.  Death metal is fine.  I listen to it all
the time (the good stuff anyways), and I don't think I feel compelled to
show how "evil" I am.

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse

Bryan Young       CANADA       blyoung AT bigfoot DOT com
Visit these webpages!         Everybody else is doing it!