the truth is out there

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Nov 21 12:50:16 EST 1997

> From:          Guido Vacano <gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU>

> I think it's depressing and frightening that in 1997 people still believe
> in nonsense like "Satan" or "the Devil". That foolishness should have been
> left in the Dark Ages, where it originated. Evil is a human construct, not
> a supernatural one.

Amen to that!  Oops!

> As for death metal, etc., being an evil influence, you can say the same
> thing about almost any activity or act of expression. The long and the
> short of it is that evil or unbalanced people do evil and unbalanced
> things. You can't blame their actions on "evil influences", or "Satan".
> "The devil made me do it" is yet another excuse in that long human
> tradition of refusing to accept responsibility for one's own actions.
>
> Guido

Don't most of those death metal dudes simply use satanic trappings as
a substitute for 'real' evil?  I mean they employ that imagery and
use satanic themes because if they did anything truly evil in life,
they'd get thrown in jail.  An outlet for the darker side without
having to actually be dark...