Ron no Bob!

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Fri Nov 21 17:51:25 EST 1997

M Holmes writes:

> Dave Berry writes:
>
> > On 20 Nov 22:29, Max Wilcox wrote:
> > >         I'd agree that Ron is not even in the same universe as Bob
> >
> > I think he does Bob's songs very well live.  His own lyrics are
> > completely different of course, but I'd rather he did his own thing
> > lyrically than tried to imitate Bob.
>
> Unfortunately on the Moorcock tracks "Warriors" and "Sonic Attack" I
> found his voice too weak to carry them off. Perhaps Captain Rizz might

At the recent NYC show, he did those, and I thought he did a great
job.  Actually, Sonic was "good" and Warriors was "excellent".  His
voice was quite strong, maybe the air in the States agrees with him?
Or maybe he was wretchedly ill, as Hawkwind always claims to be when
they're touring the US (that's why we never get an encore, right?),
and having the flu made his voice rough enough for the part?  ;-)

> have made a better job of these? Apart from "The Camera That Could Lie"
> I thought Rizz detracted from, rather than added to, the gigs.

He's ok on Camera that Could Lie.  Aside from that, I see him as no
worse a distraction than a lot of things I've seen in HW videos
(fire-eaters and the dancer in the tutu from _Live Legends_,
the guy miming the part of Elric in the _CotBS_ video).  ;-)

Steve
swann at panix.com