HW: Ron no Bob! (was: OFF/HW: Cybernetic Love with your

Christian Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Fri Nov 21 19:49:38 EST 1997

At 17:43 21.11.97 -0500, the REAL Steve Swann wrote:

>I was at that same show, and he blew me away, too.  He claims he was
>drugged out of his skull (to the point of not being aware of his
>actions at times) during that show - and I don't have any problem
>believing it.  ;-) But that doesn't detract one bit from my enjoyment
>of his performance.

Oh definetly. The more out their minds the Hawks are on stage the better!
I was just smoking a little pot and downing some beers trying to figure
out what my ex-skate punk turned hippy neighbor I brought along thought
about it! (actually, the bass player in NY band The Swales who put out a
few decent albums). Not sure what he thought :) I however loved it!

>Let me be very clear here: I was refering to Tree's delivery of
>Calvert's poems, in concert, which I thought was excellent.  I have no
>knowledge of Tree's own writings, or how he comes across on record.

Well, his delivery too. He's just too goofy. Calvert could deliver
his (at times) goofy poetry and make it sinister as hell. As for
Calvert's actual poetry vs. Tree's, Calvert communicated beyond
the imagery and touched on the human condition and social commentary.
Tree's lyrics are just vapid IMO. Moorcock can be sinister, but stuff
like his Warrior garble is IMO just awful. Bainbridge on the other
hand is damn near as creepy as Calvert, and wrote some excellent
pieces in his time as well. The hawks need Bainbridge back!!!!

>> Well, all his corny alien stuff on Alien 4 is IMHO pretty unlistenable,
every now
>> and then I put it on, and then violently take it off in giggle-induced
>> fits of madness!
>
>Sounds almost worth picking up, just for that.  ;-)

Well, just for the cool hippy dippy artwork and a couple of songs
it's worth it. Depends on how completist you are. I don't like
the tinny sound on it much..... nor the halfass rerecording of
Death Trap.

Christian

NP: Neu!75