Off: Music help

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Fri Nov 21 19:49:28 EST 1997

At 02:11 21/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>out of lurk mode again! I was making my usual foray into the music
>stores today, got Wolfstone's " Half Tail" (Excellent) and Jon-Luc
>Pony's "Cosmic Messenger".

"Jon Luc Pony"?????    :^P I presume....

>My question is-Saw a couple of "Can" Cd's-any recomendations here?

The earlier albums are the best.  A good introduction is "Cannibalism".  I
think there may have been others since, but the first Cannibalism was a
sampler drawn from their UA period (yup, same label as the Hawks).

Otherwise, the essential albums are (in approximate chronological order):
Monster Movie, Tago Mago, Soundtracks, Ege Bamyasi, Soon Over Babaluma &
Future Days.  It's difficult to truly describe Can - two members from the
Darmstadt classical avant-garde (students of Stockhausen no less), a jazz
drummer,  a guitarist from an equally unlikely source.  The first singer
was a deranged (draft-avoiding) American, the second an equally deranged
Japanese.  The albums were recorded in their own studio (Inner Space) which
was first located in the Schloss Norvenich, and subsequently in a disused
cinema.  They are most renowned for long, hypnotic group improvisations
driven along by Jaki Liebezeit's extraordinary pulsebeat drumming.  By SOB
& FD, the music was less confrontational, but more hypnotic.

"Unlimited Edition", "Delay:1968" & "Prehistoric Future" are interesting
collections of outtakes, "Landed" is OK, "Saw Delight", "Can" & "Out Of
Reach" are rather dull on the whole (esp. "OoR").  Since they ceased to
function as a unit, the individual members have produced a lot of
interesting work - from personal experience, Ican recommend the first of
Irmin Schmidt's "FilmMusik" albums, Holger Czukay's "Movies (amazing
cut-up/collage work done the hard way (pre-sampler) with tape & razor
blade) & Jaki Liebezeit's "Phantom Band".

>They also had "Cast"-what are they like?

"BritPop"  I quite like them, but they are nothing very special - identikit
boys withguitars paying snappy little 3 minute songs...

really like Edward
>K-Spell's vocals. any reccommendations there?
>Thanx!!
>Pam
>
>--
>      Pam Wheaton           Cliff Wheaton
>  ____/----^----\____     The greatest tool
></__"Rockin Cabbie"__\o    for world peace
>    O             O        "THE INTERNET"

Chhers,
ChrisW
ObCD:Kronos Quartet/Philip Glass String Quartets