OFF/HW: Poetry With Music

Alasdair Macdonald alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK
Sun Nov 23 18:39:35 EST 1997

On 23 Nov 97 at 14:20, herbert rosenberg wrote:

> > Actually I'ven ever heard any poetry during any other concert than
> Hawkwind.
> >

> I'm sure there are plenty of others who've done it. For one, I just
> picked up Zappa/Beafheart's "Bongo Fury", and Capt. Beefheart spurts
> some kinda beat-ish poetry. I'm sure he did this on his own solo
> albums, as well...
>
> Who else has done it? Besides the Doors of, course...
>

> Charlie

Patti Smith, for another.

Burroughs contributions to recordings by many artists have never (to
my knowlege) been concert performances, but they are in much the same
vein as Moorcock/Calvert - and much more besides. Of course Burroughs
is in a category all by himself. Spare Ass Annie (The Disposable
Heroes of HipHoprisy) is perhaps the most critically acclaimed (and
with good reason).

Ginsberg has done similar, definitely on stage a few times.

And now I come to think of it, Kesey and even Lesh & Weir have
spouted madness at at least a few Dead concerts.

Jah Wobble has issued an album with poetry of William Blake, and also
one called "The Celtic Poets".

I bet there are loads more...

Alasdair
alimac at netcomuk.co.uk