OFF/HW: Poetry With Music

Alasdair Macdonald alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK
Mon Nov 24 13:32:39 EST 1997

On 24 Nov 97 at 9:55, Jon Browne wrote:

> In article <199711232345.XAA02127 at avalon.netcom.net.uk>, Alasdair
> Macdonald <alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK> writes
> >Jah Wobble has issued an album with poetry of William Blake, and also
> >one called "The Celtic Poets".
>

> Cor, this sounds tasty! Any good? I love of Wobble and am partial to
> a spot of Blake too.
>
> OFF : Who was the greater romantic poet, Wordsworth or Blake?
>
> --
> Jon Browne

Well I kinda prefer his Invaders Of The Heart albums, as it happens,
but the poetry albums make a - um refreshing change. I dug out the
Celtic Poets album prior to sending my last e-mail, and I've kept it
in there for the last 3 plays, so it can't be that bad. I know the
Blake one has Tiger Tiger Burning Bright - you can prolly imagine it
if you are familiar with Wobble's voice & material like Dreadlock
Dont Deal With Wedlock. My favourite of all Joh Wobble stuff is a
couple of 1982 tapes of the Invaders in Germany, 100% instrumental.

Check
http://www.30hertzrecords.com
I also have a flyer from 30 Hertz promoting a 10th August last
"Spoken word and music concert featuring the voices of Jah Wobble and
actor Johnathan Moore, with musicians Jah Wobble, Jaki Liebzeit,
Jean-Pierre Rasle, Neville Murray and Mark Ferda. Also featuring
Najma Akhtar, Zi-Lan Liao and Spikey T."

Which reminds me, Benjamin Zephaniah has performed with bands in the
past, also John Cooper Clarke (years ago), and who used to rap over
Dennis Bovell's Dub Band all those years ago? Zephaniah?

So far as Wobble is concerned, I look for the presence of Neville
Murray & Ferda to figure out if an album of his is gonna be any good.

Alasdair
alimac at netcomuk.co.uk
ICQ contact info...
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1573250