OFF/HW: Poetry With Music

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Nov 24 19:38:35 EST 1997

Chris Warburton writes:

> Yup - the Moody Blues definitely used spokenm word stuff  - "On The
> Threshold Of A Dream"; I remember it fondly, though if I owned it, I'd
> probably never play it these days.  It was beautifully packaged too, with
> all of thelyrics printed in a large "script" font on crisp white paper
> stapled in the middle of the gatefold (couldn't have done that so classily

yep.   I've still got it too  8-)  I played it the other night and it
wasn't that bad.  In fact I still play In Search of the Lost Chord with
pleasure and listen to the electronic bleeps chasing each other around
the room from one speaker to another.   I love that!

> with a jewel case or a digipak)

The Digitally Remastered has a booklet with interview but no lyrics,
sadly  8-(    extract from interview: (Ray Thomas talks) "one of the
biggest problems was trying to convince Decca to let us have a gatefold
sleeve and put a booklet inside... It was always a fight ... to get
these luxury packages.. If it's that good, he'd say, you can put it in a
brown paper bag - that was his attitude.  And we'd say, no, the sleeve
is part and parcel of it."     <Ob almost on topic comment:  It seems
that Hawkwind and the Moodys were probably not that different in as
far as album concept design was concerned! >

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk