BOC - Extending the Random Access Myth

Hoarse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 26 08:59:57 EST 1997

>>Furthermore, I don't think that being "those for whom it was
>>written" can conversely lead to the ability to write the bloody
>>thing.....It just don't jive.

>Complete it?  No.  But contribute to it, of course.  And since it is
>an open-ended piece [as I see it, any comments?] why can't we make a
>valid contribution to it?

Right.  This is, I think, what I was meaning to say.  I don't think the
work can be finished, and I'll admit I was wrong to suggest that just
because we love it, that we can do it too.  I think I was being a bit
selfish in saying that, I mean, my publisher thinks I can write - she's
has made a bit of money from my books, so she's entitled to her opinion!
 I live off my ability to write and love immersing myself in the
splendour of the Imaginos Cycle, such as it is today, so I'd really like
to contribute something more towards it than just my cash for LP's and
CD's and gigs, and there's really only one other thing I've got.
What the thrust (& parry?) of my post was supposed to be is
this.....Does anyone feel like I do and have the "balls the size of
hot-air balloons" to actually put pen to paper and contribute to the
mythos?  I totally hate to make the comparison (but it is there) to the
Cthulu Mythos and it's post-Lovecraft contributors, Brian Lumley,
August Derleth, et al.
They didn't spoil the original work, but they spawned a fascinating
offshoot, legitimate in its own right.

>I'm certainly up to taking a stab at the music, though I'd be less
>than comfortable in trying to come up with lyrics...

I'm the other way around - - - - The music part I couldn't touch.

>Clearly Al has no shortage of inspiration for material these days.

As far as I'm concerned, the Albert Bouchard music and presentation is
the dogs balls and no-one could beat him in this area.  But that's just
me, and maybe it's just blarney.  It's pretty damn clear that Pearlman
supplied the concept and the bulk of the ideas and Al threw in the music
plus a hell of a lot of the images (check out Screams).

>Now, getting Pearlman to work on the project again looks like a bit >of
a problem...

Maybe we should make a concerted effort to get him to reveal the
entireity of the existing Soft Doctrines to the hungry public.  The
whole of the existing work is most definitley greater than the work
which has been revealeed to us mere mortals so far.  Why doesn't he
create an Imaginos Site.  Oh.  I've just attempted  www.imaginos.com,
and guess what - taken.  I'll just wait while it downloads...  Oh dear -
a WebPage company.  Breach of copyright?  Anyone know??

>>True enough.  But it never was a BOC project anyway, really, though
>>granted members of BOC did contribute to pieces of the project along
>>the way.

>I'm not sure I agree that Imaginos was not a BOC project or that
>reuniting the band is the only way to go.  True Al and Sandy were
>alone fostering the concept and attempting to put it on disc but the
>record company wanted the band involved and to release it under their
>name.

Yeah.  Hmmmm.  I think certainly Al and probably Sandy were forced by
the record moguls into getting the BOC boys onto the LP.  There was a
full album waiting to be pressed and they refused unless it had the Cult
name, Cult performances and much less A.B. vocals.  And since records
companies kinda own your recordings when they're at this stage, Albert
was shafted every which way.  I for one won't deny the validity of the
Imaginos record we finally got - Buck has got a special voice for songs
like Magna of Illusion, and the way Astronomy turned out raises hairs on
the back of neck - but I would dearly love to hear how the pre-Oysters
Imaginos sounded.  It's musical personality and clarity might just have
been superior.
Albert, if you're listening...how unlikely is quiet (mail-order) release
of the proper version?  On a scale from "no chance" to "what, do you
want me in jail?".

> Regardless of how it was made members of Blue Oyster Cult did >perform
on this so bottom line it was a BOC project.

Hmmm again.  I can't follow your logic.  They just recorded over a
previously completed work.

>I for one would like to hear Buck's guitar on a re-make.

That would be nice, but (someone somewhere will crucify me for this)
IMHO Buck's playing doesn't have the instantly-identifiable quality it
used to.  But then, I don't think anyone who plays for as long as he has
retains the sounds they had in their youth, just look at Tony Iommi,
Eric Clapton, Justin Heyward, Les Paul, Jack Bruce, Ritchie Blackmore,
Billy Gibbons, the list goes on.

>Certainly one would hope that Sandy would be willing to sit down with
>Al and finish the Imaginos saga.  But is he really necessary?  Al has
>the juice to go it alone, perhaps re-do the whole thing and put his
>stamp on it.

Albert has, I'm sure, but...
...Does the Imaginos LP need re-done.  I think not.
...How much more has Sandy Pearlman created, and how much of this is
Albert aware of?
...Any legitimate Imaginos Mythos releases would have to have
Bouchard/Pearlman input and approval.  This is why nobody else can
contribute, except as a form of "inspired by" or "based on" writing,
which can be exceptionally good, perhaps even endorsed by AB&SP, but it
would never and should never be seen as actaully being part of the cycle

>Musically, finishing Imaginos is a piece of cake.  tBS would be the
>core instruments but I would supplement them with some of the
>brightest people in the progressive rock field today.  Folks like Jon
>Oliva and Zak Steven of Savatage, members of Dream Theater,
>Queensryche and perhaps King's X.  Compared to some of the modern
>stuff the music of Imaginos sounds a bit dated, subtle changes in the
>original arrangements would give it fresh appeal.

Good idea, perhaps another version of the Guitar Orchestra of Imaginos.
I can just see Ty Tabor play cathedral-guitar-shapes to tales of secret
alien powers.

>So Chris, have you seen tBS in concert?  If so, what's your opinion?
>theo

I live in Belfast, so I am never gonna get the chance to see either tBS
or BOC unless I travel to the US.  One day I'll do it, but not for a
while yet.  I'm trying to get my own group of the ground and that's
taking up most of my time.