tBS in Elmira--a "penultimate" review...:-)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Nov 27 10:49:03 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Steven Tice wrote:

> << An excellent review, but one sentence caught my eye:
>
>  > The first set included many songs Al had written for his previous
>  > group, and it delighted this reviewer to hear them sung by their
>  > original, and penultimate performer.
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  I don't think this word means what you think it means.
>   >>

> Y'know, I've seen no less a personage than Marillion's Fish misuse that
> term...  It sounds like an intensifier, but it's not.  It really means "next
> to the last."  So, hmmm, Albert was the next to the last performer that
> day...:-)

I'm not sure where the confusion lies.  As I understand it, Albert
originally sang this song, with Eric later taking over the vocal duties
(in concerts, or maybe after Albert left the band).  So, technically,
Albert was both the original *and* penultimate performer of this song.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Jethro Tull, _Thick as a Brick (25th Anniversary Edition)_

e-mail: paul at gromit.cs.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix