top ten psych lps... and then some!

Christian Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Nov 27 17:49:38 EST 1997

At 02:59 27.11.97 -0700, the Rockin' Cabbie wrote:

>Hey dude-I had to make do here-my psych collection at this point is
>miniscule-It mainly consists of Hawkwind,  Orb, Gong, Pink Floyd and
>maybe a couple of other weird ones I've got buried in the tape pile:) :)
><<<GRIN>>>I'm NOT taking this a a flame-btw:)

Thank God, my post came off a little sharp sorta didn't it?

>I am working on this collection, btw-any recommendations?

Hell yeah! Here's ALL my favorite psych - excluding all
the Hawkstuff :) - snipped crazily out of my muzak list........

Amon Duul II - Carnival In Babylon
Amon Duul II - Yeti
Amon Duul II - Wolf City
Gong - Angel's Egg
Gong - You
Gong - Planet Gong: Live Floating Anarchy 1977
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As Love
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Can - Tago Mago
Spacemen 3 - Singles (EP comp)
Neu! - Neu!
Monster Magnet - Dopes To Infinity
Monster Magnet - Spine Of God
Monster Magnet - 25 tab
Ozric Tentacles - Live Underslunky
Ship Of Fools - Close Your Eyes (Forget The World)
Ship Of Fools - Out There Somewhere
Brainticket/Celestial Ocean
High Tide/Sea Shanties
Soft Machine/Volumes One and Two
Imperial Pompadours (ICU) - Ersatz
Screaming Trees/Anthology - SST Years 1985-90
SunDial - Other Way Out
Chameleons - Strange Times
Kaleidoscope (US)/Blues From Baghdad (comp)
Third Ear Band - Alchemy
Third Ear Band - Elements
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
Cosmic Jokers - Planet Sit-In <or any other will do!>
Love - Forever Changes <get the box set!!!!>
Beatles - Revolver
Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Guru Guru - Hinten
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
The Damned - The Black Album
Beck - Mellow Gold
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
13th Floor Elevators - The Psycchedelic Sounds Of...
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
13th Floor Elevators - Bull Of The Woods
Pressurehed - Infadrone
Negativland - <a great tape I have which has no title!!!! Help!!>
Mooseheart Faith Stellar Groove Band - Global Brain
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Syd Barrett - Opel
Flaming Lips - Oh My Gawd... It's the Flaming Lips!!!
Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam

Some of these artists are not generally psych but produced a
freak psych album of IMHO staggering proportieons
(Faith No More, Damned, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine).
Other stuff like Beck, Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev are things
I certainly consider psych but get the idea others don't
(tho they ARE IMO!!!). Mercury Rev are/were (are they still
around?) an IMO utterly fantastic band, and my favorite
band of the 90's - so far - maybe Mooseheart Faith have
edged them out now actually. Of course there's tons of brilliant
60's comps out there with a wealth of great 60's psych like
the Nuggets and Rubble comps (and tons more) which I didn't include.
I think Jon Browne is the the resident comp-psych head here :-).
Other stuff like the early Screaming Trees comp showcase alot
of brilliant psych stuff they did, that remains sort of unknown today.
Then  there's all this borderline psych-prog like High Tide, Van Der
Graaf and such that IMO have an added headyness that's in a whole other
strata of prog than say Yes or Genesis... :-) Oh, and not to mention
psychey jazz from Miles Davis or Sun Ra..... I know that list
is seriously dementedly long, but once you get hooked there is no
way to stop..... Oh, and Spiral Realms are definetly very psych, Pam,
I think you have more psych in your tape pile than what you listed!

psych on!
Christian

ObHW: 1999 Party finally in my hands! Yeah, too bad about the
yucky mix :( Still great! :)