More Imaginos

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Nov 28 13:20:50 EST 1997

> Regardless of how it was made members of Blue Oyster Cult did >perform
on this so bottom line it was a BOC project.

Chris>Hmmm again.  I can't follow your logic.  They just recorded over a
>previously completed work.

Ok for example Al writes every song on say Secret Treaties.  The
original lineup records the songs.  Does that make ST and Al album or a
BOC album.  Maybe the other memebers had little to do with the with the
arrangements etc, but play they did.  And by playing they each added
their own little musical signature.  Had Buck thrown in some chords on a
single song and walked then no, its not a BOC album.  The other guys
even if they followed sheet music did play a lot on Imaginos so to me it
is a BOC album.  Just picture Al standing at the Conductors  platform
and the guys following the little stick.

>I for one would like to hear Buck's guitar on a re-make.

Chris>That would be nice, but (someone somewhere will crucify me for
this)
IMHO Buck's playing doesn't have the instantly-identifiable quality it
used to.

Theo>I take it you haven't heard Buck live lately?  I've seen BOC live
regularly since Secret Treaties, and, he is playing, far and away,
the best guitar of his career right now.  And I think most on BOC-L
would concur on this...

I won't speak for all of BOC but I agree with Theo 1000%; Buck is better
than he used to be which boggles as he (to me) was the best even back
then.  Buck certainly would make huge contributions to Imaginos re-done.

>Certainly one would hope that Sandy would be willing to sit down with
>Al and finish the Imaginos saga.  But is he really necessary?  Al has
>the juice to go it alone, perhaps re-do the whole thing and put his
>stamp on it.

Chris>Albert has, I'm sure, but...
...Does the Imaginos LP need re-done.  I think not.

I think Imaginos needs to be re-done for the following reasons -

1. Assuming Al does it his way (no need for Columbia now) we will get
IMAGINOS HIS WAY.  We know there were other songs that were intended for
Imaginos that didn't make it.  Blame that on Columbia for business
reasons.  Beyond those songs I bet there were other artistic concessions
that had to be made.  If Al's the man then forget the concessions we are
gonna get Imaginos the way he and Sandy intended.

2. While I love this album, IMHO (of course) it is not as good as some
other concept albums I have heard.  King's X Grethchen Goes to Nebraska,
Savatage's Dead Winter Dead, Thresholds Wounded Land (maybe not a
concept album but it has a central theme) and my all time fave of this
genere Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime.  The difference as I see it is
the lack of emotional attachement to the album.  BOC was not inspired to
do this.  I'm not saying Buck and the boys didn't do a professional job
but I doubt thier hearts and heads were into making this a quality
signature performance.  Get people committed to this project for the
sake of the project and it sounds better.

3. Give it that modern progreesive metal sound and even the alterna-kids
club may fall in love with this.  I'd love to hear Jon Oliva and Paul
O'Neil bring their signature grandiose style to Imaginos.

4. Is what you point out below, some of todays popular talent gives it a
fresh feel.  Go beyond a Ty Tabors involvement and bring in pepole live
Oliva, Zak, John Myung and of course todays version of Buck with a
commitment to the project and it blows the doors off the original.

>Musically, finishing Imaginos is a piece of cake.

>Good idea, perhaps another version of the Guitar Orchestra of Imaginos.
I can just see Ty Tabor play cathedral-guitar-shapes to tales of secret
alien powers.

This is just my take on the whole matter and I wish Al could find the
time, means and support to do this.

L8er
lil ab

"I believe that situations all depend on circumstance." - Chance,
Savatage

OB Amazement - Bootleg Marino?  Oh its to die for!