top ten psych lps... and then some!

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Nov 29 09:23:10 EST 1997

In article <3.0.2.32.19971127234938.00782310 at online.no>, Christian
Mumford <cannibal at CUTEY.COM> writes
>Of course there's tons of brilliant
>60's comps out there with a wealth of great 60's psych like
>the Nuggets and Rubble comps (and tons more) which I didn't include.
>I think Jon Browne is the the resident comp-psych head here :-).

I'll bet I'm not, I just tend to gush if I like something.
I do buy as many 60's psyche comps as I can find, though, and I'm rarely
disappointed. Thing is I'd rather buy something with 20 bands I've not
heard of, than say a whole album of the best act on the last comp I
bought, e.g. The Shadows Of Knight (who are good BTW) or Litter, The
Standells, Erky Grant & The Earwigs etc. And there's *plenty* of bands
like the excellant "Fe Fi Four Plus 2" who only ever did 2 singles one
of which was the original I Wanna Come Back (From The World Of LSD)
(available on Pebbles Vol. 5 - Various Morons) which was covered by ICU.
And who would ever buy Leather Boy by The Leather Boy on it's own, but
as part of a comp., essential!

Steve, you must be well up on Pebbles/Nuggets, ICU did a few covers from
them. Little Black Egg by The Nightcrawlers was another off the top of
my head. I'm still looking for a few of the "Rubble" series BTW (UK
stuff - not highly recommended)

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Ogden's Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces

Screamadelica is also a Desert Island Disc, sho' nuff! One of England's
Finest.

Get anything by Lothar & The Hand People. "Hymn To Space" came out in
what, '67? Big influence on Floyd, Hawkwind and these days The Orb and
The Chemical Brothers have cited them in interviews. I could be wrong,
but I believe they were the first band to use synths.
--
Jon
who's listening to The Replacements at the moment. Not Psyche!