top ten psych lps... and then some rediscovered Mercury Rev!

Steve Pond Steve at DOREMI.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Nov 29 12:29:55 EST 1997

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 16:46:00 +0100, you sent through the ether:

>>Steve, you must be well up on Pebbles/Nuggets, ICU did a few covers from
>>them. Little Black Egg by The Nightcrawlers was another off the top of
>>my head.

You can thank Barney Bubbles for all the covers on "Ersatz" the whole
concept of "The Imperial Pompadours" was his, he chose the songs,
designed the sleeve (obviously) and released the record.

He`d recorded the songs onto one of those cheap 15 quid cassette
recorders that pre-dated walkmen, brought the tape to the studio and
played it to the band once. ..yes once.. cue various people scribbling
down lyrics, grabbing chords etc.. then the songs were pieced back
together, then mutilated again during recording.

I think that record is the best thing ICU did, I get email about it from
the strangest places, one French DJ regularly plays it on the radio.

-Steve