OFF: Re: Hawkwind Brazilian tour cancelled?

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sat Nov 29 17:18:55 EST 1997

Hoarse Whisperer writes:

> >Just caught this off libernet. I find it hilarious to think of state
> >bureaucrats sitting trying to decipher song lyrics. Good job they're
> >immune from the "drug messages" that the poor fans will be affected by.
> >

> This is amazing.  I've got a good one though...does anyone remember the
> Electric Light Orchestra??
>
> Well, ELO were booked to play in a town in Northern Ireland called
> Ballymena, their only gig in this country.  Not a big town by any means,
> but it would have been a sell-out gig.
> Ballymena Town Council banned ELO from playing in the town because they
> were "the Devil's music".  That is a direct quote.

oops - I'm about to take this way off topic - but it's quiet just now
(I hope)

reminds me of when I was still at school and J'Taime came out - we all
frantically wrote off to our French pen-friends to try and persuade them
to do a translation and no-one would - much too shy - until eventually
the House Mistress became so interested in why we were sitting around
fascinated by a foreign language record of heavy breathing that she
stole it and took it away to the French Mistress to find out what it
said.   Sadly the French Mistress was a little old lady who had been
born (almost) in the Victorian era and she was so appalled at what she
heard that the record was instantly thrown into a rubbish bin and never
returned.     Strangely tho' we never had any problems with records like
"Hey Mr. Tangerine Man" or "My Friend Jack Eats Sugarlumps".

jill

obInevitable> it's winter, it rains, my roof leaks, I spend the day
tripping over buckets.   Sigh.

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk