OFF: Pentagramaspinn - notGong notParagong notround notlager

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Nov 30 19:13:45 EST 1997

 Chris Warburton writes:

> >>Definitely not: there may have been a Gong track on "V" (probably was) but
> >>definitely not Paragong.  The Gong track would have been from the "teapot"
> >>trilogy, or an ottake therefrom.
> >>
> >>I will brook no disapute on this ( *g* ).  I spent too much time after
> >>school ('73/'74/'75 academic years) listening to "V" and the other Virgin
> >>stuff of the time ( & Henry Cow stilll rool!) to misremember
> >>this...Paragong came along later, probably post Shamal/Gazeuse period - or
> >>even as a response to those....
> >>#
> >>ChrisW
> >
> >Now, you sure your memory isn't SLIGHTLY rusty even? ;^)~
> >
> >Let me just check here... ah yes, the Tapestry Of Delights book... hmm,
> >ah, yes!! Kenneth is right! And I am right! You were there then, you
> >prove it by not remembering this :) I will quote from the historical
> >tome:
> >
> >"The dominant forces of what remained of Gongwere Hillage and Moerlen,
> >but the only vinyl output of this era <1975> seems to have been Hillage's
> >solo album Fish Rising, which included alot of band material, and an
> >outtake, "Pentagramaspin", which got an airing on Virgin's 1975 double
> >album sampler, "V", credited to Paragong."
> >

> I remember the title of the track now that you mention it, and it may be
> that the line up was that of "Paragong", but I still maintain that it was
> NOT credited to "Paragong" on the copy of "V" that my friend owned - I
> think perhaps it was just listed as an outtake from "Fish Rising": either
> way, it was a most excellent track (as were most of the tracks on that
> sampler).

OK - peace!

Here's a definitive description from the whateveritwas leaflet that
accompanied this release (I've got a xerox copy a friend gave me once).

                        STEVE HILLAGE

                        Pentagramaspinn
                        (Steve Hillage) 5.45

        The Sky-drunk Heartbeat Band comprising

        STEVIE HILLSIDE Guitar and Voice
        BAMBALONI YONI  Youyou voice
        MIKE HOWLETT    Bass
        DAVE STEWART    Organ
        TIM BLAKE       Synthesizer
        DIDIER MALHERBE Saxaphone
        PIERRE MOERLINN Percussion

A track from the sessions for Steve Hillage's forthcoming solo album on
Virgin, this won't be included on (V203) (out in April).

        Recorded September 1974 at the Manor
                Engineer: Simon Heyworth
        Published by Virgin Music (Publishers) Ltd

        Steve Hillage is a member of Gong

There y'are

jill

PS:  there was also a Clearlight Symphony track on it - but not one
        that featured any of the Gong folk.
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk