OFF: Voivod

C Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Wed Oct 1 19:08:31 EDT 1997

At 10:16 01/10/97 -0400, Crawford Smith wrote:

>- I was somewhat disappointed with "Negatron" and the departure of Snake.
>I first got into Voivod with the spacey sound of "Angel Rat" and "Outer
>Limits" so hopefully "Phobos" won't be so back-to-the-old-school-thrash
>sounding.

Imagine a cross between "Dimension Hatross" (angular, oddly unconventional
song structures, very weird guitar sounds and 'tribal' drumming), and some of
"Negatron"'s industrial-thrash sound.

Piggy's guitar is much more like the older stuff (BTW he played with a plastic
raygun for the encore!!). There's lots of "massive spacecraft" drone, bleeps &
whoooshes, radio static, robot voices, knob twiddly ambient parts... and less
aggressive. Not as melodic as AR or OL though, but much spacier than
Negatron -
some parts are freakishly gothic (Pink Floyd's "Saucerful Of Secrets" and
maybe
Skinny Puppy spring to mind). Also, Snake's vocals are not as "missed" here as
on the last album. Included is a great booklet full of Away/Langevin's
nightmarish pen and ink artwork. Definete all round return to form IMHO, and
highly recommended!!!

The tracks are:

Catalepsy I
Rise