OFF: Heathrow/London help

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Oct 2 04:57:49 EDT 1997

> My fiancee and I will have a short lay-over in London on the way to our
> honeymoon, and we would like to get some specific information.  Our
> flight gets into Heathrow Airport at 10:00 AM on a Saturday (18
> October) and doesn't leave until 4:35 PM that same day.  We are hoping
> to take public transportation (the tube?) into London, walk around for
> a while to see some sights and try to wake up, and then take public
> transportation back to the airport.  We won't have our luggage with,
> so that will make things easier.
>
> First, we plan to take the Piccadily Line Underground into the city,
> which is supposed to take 30 to 40 minutes.  Does anyone have any
> better suggestions?

Err, thats about right. But its going to take you about 30-40 mins to get out
through immigration & customs, surely.
The tube is right at the airport so thats a synch to get.

> Second, can someone please suggest a good destination in London given
> that we will have a total of only two or three hours there?  We have
> both been to London before (but it has been a while).  We were
> thinking of going to an area like Piccadily to have lunch and walk
> around.  Does that sound reasonable?

Berwick St. Soho. Couple of the best CD stores in town. But I guess that maybe
isn't what you had in mind ;->

I dunno really, since I don't live in london. There's plenty of places around
Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Sq. to eat at, which you can get to from your tube.
I think the question is whether you can realistically get there and back in
time

Go for it.

Tim