OFF: Voivod

C Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Oct 2 17:53:50 EDT 1997

At 18:41 01/10/97 PDT, you wrote:

>It sounds like I will definitely have to get this one.  I have all
>the other Voivod albums on CD, and Negatron is my least favorite.

Well, it's by no means "pleasant" in any way like Angel Rat - it's a
pretty damn brutal record, it's just more *inspired* brutality than
Negatron! If you thought Killing Technology was great, you'll definetly
dig Phobos...

>Away is such a talented artist!!!  Not the same vibe Hawkwind had
>with Barney Bubbles, but I can't think of a single band that uses
>art with music the way Voivod does.  (Hauntingly original, too!)

Yeah - I thought it was interesting that he started doing computer art
so early (on Angel Rat, '91). I have the 3D edition of Outer Limits -
fantastic stuff, with 3D Voivod-spex included (the CD booklet was packaged
like a 3D comic book - "Voivod No. 8, Summer Edition 'The Outer Limits'"...).
It's the coolest/etc CD packaging I have seen along with the remastered XISOS.
And there is the scary "space junk" logo and cyber-skull (whatever!) design
on their early albums... The new CD has somewhat "old style" Voivod artwork...

As for other bands with that type of album art "culture", Daevid Allen's
Gong/solo etc. artwork is up there with HW and Voivod... And how about
Budgie! Those weird budgies in every situation... and what about Iron Maiden's
Eddie the Monster, hmmmm?

>Say, wasn't Negatron supposed to be a CD-ROM as well?  I stuck it
>in my computer and found nothing.  So far the only CD I have that
>has computer files is Prong - Rude Awakening.  Maybe my copy of
>Negatron is from the wrong label, or something.

I was hoping that would be one of Negatron's few redeeming qualities, but
alas,
I found nothing on the CD on my PC. I asked Langevin about it actually!!!!
He said the CDrom was only on the US release, and the Euro version (which I
have) had an extra track, Drift, I think. I would much rather have seen the
animated ant :-)

Strange realization on the way to work listening to Phobos: all the bleeping
pulse-sounds on the album are Piggy's toy raygun!!!!! One and the same...!
I guess that sort of is the final word in their (non) use of synths live...

Christian

obCD: Monkees - Greatest Hits