HW: Need Help for Paper

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Oct 3 08:18:15 EDT 1997

More Moorcock lyrics:

The Timeship Will Not Sail Again
================================

The ghosts of unborn children play with toys
The memories of the future
are a wild confusing noise
And we cannot stick to flashes of the future we have seen
And we can't act for terror
Of what will be and what we've been
And we're frozen in a time trap
And we're slowly losing power
And we're frightened if we makes a move
That the dream will still go sour
There are memories all around us
And images of the past
And the crying of the children keeps us tied round the mast
But the timeship will not sail again
Until we find our nerves
And the timeship cannot fight again
"til we know who it is we serve
And the memories of the future
Are a weapon in their hands
And we'll always be defenseless
Until we make a stand
The timeship cannot sail again
Until we make a stand
The timeship cannot fight again
'til we give up all we've gained
The timeship cannot ride again
'til we give up all we've gained
And smash the memories of the future
Forever we're aftaid
The timeship cannot sail again
The timeship cannot sail again
The timeship cannot sail again

My Armour's Killing Me
======================

If you try to take it off it will destroy you
And it's almost impossible to remove
Wear it carefully, wear it carefully
It will protect you against all enemies including yourself.
The armour should be given in perfect condition.
Any weaknesses should be reported immediately.
Your armour will protect you from all conceivable dangers.
Especially from within
Especially from within
It will enable you to resist
All temptations and all changes
Your armour shines and gleams so well
Enabling you to walk through Hell
And keep your enemies at bay
Through darkest night and brightest day
If you keep it carefully
You'll burn in it and die in it
And never know you didn't have to wear it
You'll never know you didn't have to wear it
My armour's killing me
My armour's killing me
My armour's killing me
My armour holds me tight
My armour blocks the light
My armour's all I want
'cos I'm too scared to shed it
Yes I'm too scared to shed it
My armour's killing me (repeat)

And some of the less well known Calvert lyrics:

The Beast of Chaos
==================

The Beast of Chaos has no shape of its own
The Beast of Chaos has no identity
It's form is ever changing
It can be a rising tower with a thousand eyes
Whose gaze can turn the world to stone
It can fart a battery of sound
Like cannons aimed at Heaven
Belching fumes of industrious flak

It swallows them at morning
And spews them out at evening
Wasted and pale
It feeds on their time

The Beast of Chaos has no soul of its own
The Beast of Chaos has no conscience
Its change is ever forming
It can pass like a flight of steel eagles
With claws of fire
Or trample the Earth to dust
With monstrous millions of iron feet
It can dehydrate the oceans with its breath
It can crumple the sky with its palms
It can blot out the Sun
It can black out the stars
The Beast of Chaos comes from nowhere
And leaves nothing behind

The Beast of Chaos has no soul of its own
The Beast of Chaos has no conscience
Its form is ever changing

In the Egg
==========

We live in the Egg
We live in the Egg
We have covered the inside wall of the shell with dirty drawings
and the christian names of our enemies
We are being hatched
Whoever is hatching us is hatching our pencils as well
Set free from the Egg one day, at once we shall draw a picture
of whoever is hatching us
We assume that we're being hatched
We imagine some good natured fowl and write school essays about the colour
and creed of the hen that is hatching us
When shall we break the shell?
Our prophets inside the Egg, for a middling salary, argue about
the period of incubation
The posit a day called "X"
Out of boredom and genuine need, we have invented incubators
We are much concerned about our offspring inside the Egg
We should be glad to recommend our patent to whom looks after us
But we have a room full of hardheads, senile chimps, polyglot embryos
chatter all day and even discuss their dreams
But what if we're not being hatched?
What if the shell will never break, if the horizon is only that of
our scribbles, and always will be?
We hope that we're being hatched
Even if we only talk of hatching there remains the fear
that someone outside the shell will feel hungry
and crack us into the frying pan with a pinch of salt
What then my brethren inside the Egg?

Ode To A Crystal Set (Calvert)
==============================

There wasn't much to you at all. A pair
Of headphones, and a knob to twiddle
But you beat the sixgun and the saddle
You were futuristic as Colonel Dare

And so was I, in your bakelite 'phones
Tuned-in, to the insect language of Morse
Always at war with the alien force
Of crackling static's interference zones

And at night I listened to voices drone
With your dark conches pressed against my ears
And dreamt there were voices among the stars
The privilege of hearing was mine alone

With your earthed antenna divining air
You traced the future of your trans-sisters
Oracular wire, you were the cat's whiskers
'Til I heard the superheterodyne's blare

ODE TO A TIME FLOWER  (Calvert)

Your calyx hides a nectary of time
That with my fingers I could pluck as easily
As sounding strings to recite their chime,
And your most exquisite petals melt icily
In my palm.   To hold the flow of moments past
As carefully as I would my last
Few seconds left on Earth.  Would that be crime?
Or if I picked you just to see you turn
To crystalled pearl in my eyes and learn
How man is Angel on his way from slime.

Did heedless Eve think twice before she broke
The enjewelled fruit from its brittle stem.
Or the first man to reach out and stroke
The marijuana leaf, condemn
Himself for greed when harvesting
And burning such a golden thing.
As this dreaming poet who just then spoke
Of your sacredness, and is now prepared
To do exactly as he first declared
And make of his museful words a joke.

But not quite as easy after all
I find, as my fingers reach to grasp,
Your gleaming head to wrench from its tall
Transparent stalk, they refuse to clasp.
As did Pandora's eager hands hold still
At the thought of the box containing ill.
Or the stoned explorers of Medusa stall
For time not entered in their log
Before they dared the petrific fog
That holds them still in its timeless thrall.

.......................... a nectary of time
That with my fingers I could pluck as easily
As sounding strings to recite their chime,
And your most exquisite petals melt icily
In my palm.   To hold the flow of moments past
As carefully as I would my last
Few seconds left on Earth.  Would that be crime?
Or if I picked you just to see you turn
To crystalled pearl in my eyes and learn
How man is Angel on his way from slime ....

Time For Sale
=============

<Calvert>

Roll up everybody, here's an offer you can't refuse.
If you're wasted price'll show ya' more surprise if you've got the
                                                              blues
Wouldn't you like to tell that card from way back before you fail?
Why don't you take a look at my stock, I've got time for sale.

Works out quite expensive but you've a lot of time to pay
So don't be apprehensive come on, buy up the time today
Wouldn't you like to tell that card from way back before you fail?
Oh Why don't you take a look at my stock, I've got time for sale.
                                                   time for sale.
                                                   time for sale.
                                                   time for sale.

Got what you need - it's all guarenteed
You can have a time of a whale
If the boss don't suit ya - you can try on the ledger
You don't have to pay on the nail - I've got time for sale.

'ere.....D'you wanna buy some time?
Want to buy some time?
Coz' I've got second-hand time for sale.
              second hand time
              second hand time for sale.

Take a look in his pouch
You see what I see there?
That's Helen Of Troy there!
- He got Helen Of Troy there!
You can have her if you pay for time
              second-hand time
              first hand time
I've got first hand time, once upon a time
a second  a second   a second   a second

I sicken for this time
        second hand time time time
         first hand time time time

I can sell to you an hour