Next BOC Album

Fri Oct 3 10:10:03 EDT 1997

> From:          "Andrew A. Apold" <mordru at MAGG.NET>

> >>What BOC album should I try out next?
> >
> >Mark notice how everyone is essentially steering you towards the big
> >three (BOC, T&M and ST)?  If you can get the three pak its your best
> >buy.
>
> While I agree about 3-pak, I had a slight misgiving about recommending
> Secret Treaties if only because with WOTT, he already has a version of
> every song on Secret Treaties except 'Cagey Cretins' on WOTT.  While the
> ST versions are also worth having, I'd recommend going with one of the
> others first.  BOC is also heavily represented on WOTT, with only
> 'Redeamed', 'Screams', and 'SABAAF' not being represented in one form
> or another (if you consider TR&TB as a version of IOTLBIANS, which I do).
> On those grounds, T&M seemed like a good choice, seeing that it is very
> under-represented on WOTT with only two songs (TR&TB and 7SDB) (though
> Mark, if you find 3-pak, it's worth it).  This is why I thinkn Cultosaurus
> would be a good next step as it is generally a heavier album, which fits
> in with the songs mentioned above.  The only one that isn't is Veteran,
> which ties in nicely to Black Blade, so it works on that level too.  Theo
> also recommended it.  And we all know what Bolle thinks of it, too....

CE is cool because it has a lot of macabre lyrics which harken back
to the early albums.  Lips in the Hills is a killer tune.  Marshall
Plan's a joke, but features some great soloing from BD...

> As for Mirrors, I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it as an example to find
> more stuff similar to what Mark singled out from WOTT.  'The Great Sun Jester'
> is still one of my favorite tunes...

The Vigil's a great song too.  I just don't think the album has the
consistency of material to recommend it.  I was thinking of bang for
the buck as a criterion too, figuring maybe mark wasn't going to buy
all the albums...

> One other note, I find lots of people lump 'The Revolution by Night' and 'Club
> Ninja' together as two rather worthless (by BOC standards) albums with
> one or two great tunes.  I don't think this is fair to RBN, I think it is a
> much better album than CN.  Even aside from 'Take Me Away' (which I'm sure

Right on!  RBN is a pretty good album.  Take me Away, the
underappreciated Feel the Thunder, hillarious Shadow of Calif.  a
good mixture of humor and killer guitar playing.  The album rates as
second-level too, becasue Al isn't on it.  You can tell that they
still had their shit together.  Joe was still into it, and the
melt-down that was apparent on Club Ninja hadn't happened yet...

theo