Next BOC Album

Tue Oct 7 09:28:38 EDT 1997

> From:          brian halligan <brianh at PULLEYN.COM>
>         > As a non-BOC person, the track list on ETL looked pretty good.
> Why don't
>         > people like it?  Are they relatively poor performances, or
> crap sound?

There are some good performances:  Excellent renditions of DFtR
[though not any better than the one on SEE], Roadhouse is cool, and,
DaS finally recorded live, and with Al on Drums no less.  A lot of it
is just plain unnecessary, as John pointed out.  I suspect that what
turns people off [certainly true in my case] is that it's the first
record without Al.  Rick's a competent drummer, but to fill Al's
shoes, a drummer has to be amazing...

>         This was the first BOC live album I bought (because of the cover
> art).
>         It's like watching a movie based on a book without reading the
> book
>         first.  You love the movie, but when you finally do read the
> book, you
>         find that the screenplay pales in comparison.

I agree.  It's a great jacket, and when I bought it, I was really
psyched to be blown away, but it didn't happen.  I had seen the band
before the record came out, so I knew Al was gone, but I'd hoped the
album would have been old material featuring Al...

>         The sound is clean (though not as clean as SEE), but it lacks
> the
>         energy, and little mistakes, that make On Your Feet so much more
>         powerful.  When I bought OYF about a month or two later, I began
>         think that maybe ETL wasn't the end-all of live albums.

OYF is Al's fave BOC album.  I wasn't wild about it until recently.
I always thought it was kind of ragged.  And, coming after the first
3 albums which were so brilliantly produced, a live record just isn't
going to have the same feel.  Though I was always blown away by the
live experience.  Last couple of years, though, it's a record I play
all the time.  Al really shines in a live situation.  Plus, it
reminds me of how great EB used to be as a frontman.  Actually,
Buck's playing has gotten much better since this album, but his work
on OYF still stands tall.  Allen's keyboard work was much more
dominant back then--sounds kind of watered-down lately...Joe?  Well
he's always been rock-solid and consistent, both singing and
playing...

>         ETL is worth having for its live versions of "Joan Crawford",
> "Roadhouse
>         Blues", and "Dominance & Submission".  I like this version of
> "JC"
>         almost better than the one on FoUO.
> >
>         Brian
Agreed!
> Brian Halligan
> Copywriter Intern
> Buck & Pulleyn
> brianh at pulleyn.com
>
> An idle mind is the playground of the person
> within whose head rests the mind.
>
>         > Dave.
>         > --
>         > Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
>         > Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.
>         > Tel: +44 131 472 4782

theo