Next BOC Album

Tue Oct 7 10:22:50 EDT 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
> Do we HAVE to defend everything because someone speaks negatively about
> it?  Look, I own and listen to ALL of BOC's albums - and I don't think
> this makes me any more of a "true BOC fan" than someone who doesn't -
> but this thread started because someone wanted to know what album they
> should buy after hearing the WOTT compilation.  Look, if this person was
> going to just buy all of BOC's albums, this thread would be rather pointless,
> wouldn't it?  And frankly, I think that what has been said about the
> various albums in the past IS a pretty good indicator of what fans as
> a whole think of them.  If you poll a large number of BOC fans, you will
> see that as a whole, they rank Mirrors, RBN, and Club Ninja near the bottom
> of their favorite BOC albums -- that doesn't necessarily mean that these
> albums are worthless, but that most fans agree that BOC has other albums
> which are better.  Hell, most of the band will tell you that they aren't

Right!  I may put down the albums you mentioned, but only in terms of
RELATIVE merit.  Even a shitty BOC song is better than most any
band's best material.  We know what greatness BOC is capable of, so
when some material falls short of our expectations, we can't help but
react...

> too fond of certain records.  Joe Bouchard left the band in part because
> of BOC's musical direction with Club Ninja, as did Allen Lanier (for
> awhile anyway).  Albert Bouchard has referred to "You're Not The One I
> Was Looking For" as referring to Tom Werman (Mirrors producer), and it
> is clear that the heaviness (and production by Martin Birch) of Cultosaurus
> was a direct reaction to Mirrors (Bolle can attest that most of the BOC
> fanclub quit after Mirrors was released).

No kidding?  Wow!  I remember being bitterly disappointed when
Mirrors came out, but I was lucky enough to see BOC live in support
of the album, and they rocked.  So I figured Mirrors was just a blip
on the screen...

theo