HW: Church of Hawkwind - explanation of sorts

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Oct 7 13:47:28 EDT 1997

Max Wilcox writes:

> Hi all,
>
>             This has been in the corner of my mind for the past few weeks,
> and I thought, seeing as I've got lots of uni writing to do, that I would
> purge it from the dark recesses of my mind now.
>             What's the deal with Church of Hawkwind? I know it was
> origionaly `ol Brockey's solo album, but then he got the others in on it.
> Why? How did this come about?

Depends on whether you are looking at the CD or the album.    The
original vinyl album was done for RCA because the studio insisted on an
album unfortunately someone (I forget who now) went down with measles or
chicken pox or mumps or something which left Harvey to play keyboards
and synths which he had always wanted to do and allowed Brock to make
the synth based album he had been wanting to do.    Thus was Church of
Hawkwind made.

>             It gets strange here. The copyright is 75, and Bainbridge &
> HughLL are listed as composing some of the songs - how? More astounding is
> how Chadwick and Dayey are on it.

It languished on vinyl only for years because of contractual and payment
problems (maybe RCA were not happy??? I'm not sure> but Griffin (all
hail Rob Godwin> managed to get it issued and remixed onto CD because it
was reckoned that this was, in effect, a personal Brock album rather
than a Hawkwind one.   This gave the opportunity of adding extra tracks
to the album so the tracklist on the CD is quite different to that on
the Vinyl album.

I think that is right but (as always) E&OE and I apologise 'umbly if
I've got anything wrong!!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk