ETL...me vs. Bolle....

Steven Tice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 8 01:56:22 EDT 1997

<< As a non-BOC person, the track list on ETL looked pretty good.  Why don't
 people like it?  Are they relatively poor performances, or crap sound?

Well, I really loved ETL when I first got it, even though I already owned all
the previous BOC albums at the time (except Mirrors...I had to special order
Mirrors!).  Of course, the gorgeous cover art and the (gasp) lyrics were
thrilling, but I enjoyed all of the performances, too, even the updated (and
somewhat different) versions of songs that had previously seen live release
(Hot Rails, Godzilla, etc.).  It's a very solid album, and while it doesn't
have the power of On Your Feet or perhaps the precision of SEE (and, of
course, for the most part lacks Albert's drumming), I think it contains some
very strong performances, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

SET

That said, I mentioned to Bolle (whom I was instant-messaging with while
writing the above) that I was writing a defense of ETL...he had this to say:

TUBULAR 1:      What? ETL is a shameless cheap attempt at cashing in on Burnin'
For you twice...and not much else... I believe it to be the worst album ever
by BOC... any of my live tapes kicks serious ass with that piece of
crap...poor song selection not the best takes and the only redeeming factor
is the awesome cover by my friend Greg Scott!
TUBULAR 1:      I guess that says something :-)
StevenTice:     Heh.  Mind if I quote your opinion along with my defense? :-)

Note that I don't have the luxury of knowing whether those were good takes or
not...
TUBULAR 1:      Sure, but insert this bit then
TUBULAR 1:      Too many repeats from earlier albums which had the by far superior
perfromances than what came on here. Also ETL is kinda like a Soundtrack to
the MTV/Blue Jean Networks Concert!

So there you go...choose your positions! :-)