HW: Ambient Anarchists

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Wed Oct 8 23:00:47 EDT 1997

>Can anyone clue me in on "Douglas in the Jungle" ?  It and a handful
>of other tracks ("Hash Cake" & "British Tribal Music", for example)
>always seem to crop up on these compilations that everyone advises
>me to steer clear of.  Are these songs that bad?  Or are they just
>throw-away ditties that no one would possibly rank with the rest of
>Hawkwind's catalog?
>MWood

Oh, those songs are quite OK.  Douglas In The Jungle is a little silly,
obviously done by the Hawks in a funny mood, but it doesn't actually suck or
anything.  People are constantly slagging those "Anthology" compilations
such as Acid Daze etc., but I would consider them indispensable to any HW
collection.  On those albums are tons of great tracks we wouldn't otherwise
have.  In fact, the anthology records have some of my favorite tunes--like
that great live version of Quark Strangeness and Charm, or Huw's torturedly
brilliant lead work on Who's Gonna Win the War.  I couldn't live without
'em.  I like Hash Cake quite a bit; the same with British Tribal Music.  The
Hawks are just... they're just.... they're neato!
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org