HW: Ambient Anarchists

BL Young blyoung at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 8 23:43:04 EDT 1997

>> Can anyone clue me in on "Douglas in the Jungle" ?  Or are they just
>> throw-away ditties that no one would possibly rank with the rest of
>> Hawkwind's catalog?
>>
>> I feel like I've missed some kind of joke...
>>

>You mean like:
>
>"They're on their knees, those chimpanzees....." ??
>
>Always cracks me up !!
>
>Actually its a lost classic, lyrics wise (all about Doug Smith)  and I
still
>claim theres a hell of a lot more going on in the background (low or
buried
>vocals) thatn anybody has ever figured out, but its not terribly
musical.....

>Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh Dum-Dum   repeat ad nauseam
>
>Steve L.

It's not a bad song, really.  It's quite a gem amongst "unreleased"
tracks (compared to what some bands foist off).

But the point is - how many times do we have to buy this non-album
track?  Is it really necessary to show up on all of those compilations
that threaten the financial stability of all us Hawkwind completists?

And the really nasty part - whenever you're getting an album with
"Douglas..." on it, it always has the same assortment of other tracks
that turn up as "also-rans" (such as Hash Cake, etc)

On my webpage I don't even bother mentioning these, although if I
were to write about them, I would tell people not to buy them.  I'm
sure any real Hawkwind fan will buy a few, anyways, so they'll
get their specified quota of "Douglas..."

Bryan
Bryan Young           CANADA          blyoung at bigfoot.com