OFF: Aussie rock was: Next BOC Album

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Fri Oct 10 11:50:29 EDT 1997

Troy wrote:
>You mention some greats, like the Saints, and Radio Birdman, yeah, they
were OK, but never filled the gap of being "hard" enough. Perhaps Rose
Tatoo > and AC/DC best filled that.  Also, to a certain extent, they lacked
the "flair and finesse" of the US pop rockers.
  > However, I do think there are some un-noticed Aussies in those years
too. I think Cold Chisel, (though I hated them for years) and Australian
Crawl
  > would rank among the standard of some US and UK pop rock.  Still,
interesting that you mention the Scientists, when I have never even heard
of them!  > Who were they?

I guess the Scientists weren't really metal, but had a swampier sound,
maybe somewhere between the Cramps and Dream Syndicate?
I have the album "Weird Love", which says they were around '82 - '85, from
Perth.

Some other cool Aussie bands I know (note: some may no longer exist):

Celibate Rifles: excellent Radio Birdman-esque punk rock, fronted by the
charismatic Damian Lovelock. They used to tour the U.S. and Europe,
but I don't know their current status.

Lubricated Goat - forget those Marilyn Manson panty waists, this is the
real sh*t!  Led by the infamous Stu Spasm, they created dark, twisted tunes
 you'd find yourself humming while sick in bed with the flu.  Their 1st
release, "Plays the Devil's Music" is a must-have, but everything
by them is good.  As the store clerk wrote on my copy, "sounds like
Beefheart reveling in strychnine poisoning". With ex-members of the Beasts
of
Bourbon, a psycho-country band (also worth seeking out).

Hard-ons - as Jon mentioned, great punk-pop band.
Lime Spiders - look for the "Slave Girl" EP.
Feedtime - excellent dark creepy psycho rock.
Exploding White Mice
Cosmic Psychos
Grong Grong
Fungus Brains

and many more I'm sure.

They sure come up with some crazy-ass names. Here are some others I've
heard of but don't own:

        Psychotic Turnbuckles
        Shower scene from "Psycho"
        Popeye and the Amphetamine Blood Fuckers

Enjoy -
        Chris