HW: Still looking for those OOP CD's? Check here...

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Mon Oct 13 12:27:37 EDT 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Malcolm <jmalcolm at URAEUS.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Date: Monday, October 13, 1997 11:27 AM
Subject: HW: Still looking for those OOP CD's? Check here...

>How do I tell if a CD I have is a remaster? How do I tell if a CD in a
>catalog somewhere is a remaster?

You look at the cover and see if there is some blurb like "digitally
remastered from the original masters". Or look and see if there is
a sticker to that effect, like the re-masters of Genesis. Some artists
have had their back-catalogs remastered (early HW, PF, TD, Genesis,
FZ, Yes, J-M Jarre, Rush), so you are probably pretty safe in getting the
remastered versions from a legitimate source. Used is a whole 'nother
story; as if there have been re-mastered versions released, you can bet
that there are a bunch of earlier, non-remastered CD's floating around out
there in Used-Land. Do you have specific artists in mind? Might be helpful
to check in an appropriate newsgroup.

>From a catalog? Depends on how detailed the catalog is. I have seen listings
on the 'Net that trumpets the fact that the CD's are remastered; others
don't say
a thing. Guess you can always call/e-mail and ask...
among others

>If it is a "limited" does that have anything to do with it?

Maybe, maybe not. Sony did it with their 10-year anniversary of the CD
limited
masters, and Mobile Fidelity seems to keep their numbers low, but I don't
think
that there have been any limits placed on MCA's gold remasters. And, as far
as
I think, if you are going to go to the expense of a remaster, make it
available to
everyone and at reduced prices to get those suckers (like me) to buy 'em
again.
My US$ 0.02

Craig Shipley              craigs at pyramid.com
Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems, Inc.
1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. NE        Suite 400
Atlanta, Georgia 30342      (404) 845-3404
Corporate Voice Mail            (800) 333-5754 x-2023