HW: Mansfield 16-10-97

David Jones david at MASTMOOR.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 17 04:33:12 EDT 1997

Went to the on - off - on Mansfield Leisure centre gig last night and to be
honest we were prepared to be very dissapointed having seen the set list
but we were pleasantly surprised.

About 300 people I suppose  Leisure centre hall with floor space and some
tiered seating at the back so  a good view.

Crum played keyboards throughout the set
Dave played keyboards and guitar hiding behind his stack with Jerry now
playing all the solos
Ron sang less than I expected and his bass playings OK bbut it was quite
low in the mix
Capt Rizz wandered on and did three or four bits.

Set list was as far as I remember

Instrumental
Capt Rizz song
Warriors
Assault & Battery
Golden Void
Hassan I Sahba  -  Space Is Their Palestine (Capt Rizz) - Hassan I Sahba
Capt Rizz - Pleasure Fantasy Desire ?
Instrumental  - a fast sort of flashy guitar thrash
Love In Space  (Brock singing Ron's middle bit)
Aerospaceage Inferno
Sonic Attack
Blue Skin
Brainstorm -  Camera That Could Lie (Capt Rizz singing ) - Brainstorm

Encore

Reptoid Vision (Captain Rizz bit in the Middle)

About seventy minutes main set and about a ten minute encore.

Jerry is a great addition

Warriors - Golden Void and Assault and Battery were awesome, I've spent
ages wanting them to drop this sort of stuff because I'd heard it too many
times but instead they have now started playing them closer to the Warrior
versions than I have ever heard and they sound great again.

I think that was the high spot of the set - Capt Rizz was a bit annoying,
Blue Skin was pretty bad and I didn't think much of Reptiod Vision - but it
is always hard to take new stuff in live.

The two new instrumentals were both very good.

No slides or films - strobe lights and patterns projected onto the walls of
the hall.

It seemed to have a very  seventies feel to it somehow, which is something
I've never felt before.

Band seemed happy and having fun  - Brock spoke more during this gig than
in all the other times I have seen them put together.

Take Care

David