OFF: The Mutton Birds

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Oct 20 10:16:11 EDT 1997

On another trip to the record store, looking, without much hope, to see if
the new Hawkwind was there (it wasn't), I picked up _Envy of Angels_ by this
bunch of Kiwis so as not to waste my time entirely.  Anyway, it's pretty
good!  They've been touted as "the next Crowded House", which put me off, and
indeed they are occasionally worryingly close to the sort of music people my
age are expected to listen to, but they make up for that by being damn good
at what they do!  Excellent songwriting, with a real economy and conciseness
that appeals.  My favourite song so far is probably "April", which checks in
at just over two minutes, having made its point.

I bet they did an excellent "Reaper" - which I'll have to hunt down...

- Andy