HW/NIK: Turner & Sting

Andrew Gilham Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Oct 22 19:05:55 EDT 1997

On Thursday, October 23, 1997 12:12 AM, C Mumford [SMTP:cannibal at CUTEY.COM]
wrote:
> Hey, anyone have the the full details on this bizarre collaboration
> in the 80's? Any cold data as year, place etc. appreciated
> since it's for an article... and does anyone have this single (?)?

Course they do!  I've got one here signed by Turner (there was a time when
UN-signed copies of Nik/ICU records were rarer than signed ones): "Get
radioactive!  Nik Turner"...  make of that what you will!  It came out in
1979, in fact.  "Nuclear Waste" c/w "Digital Love", by The Radio Actors.
 Both sides written by Harry Williamson.  Became a staple of ICU's stage set
for a while, until they got bored with it and tried to play it all the way
through in about thirty seconds.

It says here:

Sting - Lead Vocals
Steve Broughton - Drums
Steve - Lead Guitar
Nick Turner - Sax & Vocal
Mike Howlett - Drums
Harry Williamson - Rythm Guitar & Vocals
Gilli Smyth - Vocals
Produced by Simon Heyworth
Concept: Nick Turner and Harry Williamson

All spelling errors reproduced faithfully!  The second Steve is Hillage.

This is an early sighting of Sting's ecological concerns - one in the eye for
all those cynics who accuse him of sublimating his worries about his receding
hairline onto the rainforests (as if I would! :)

- Andy