HW: Church of Hawkwind - explanation of sorts

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 24 10:07:22 EDT 1997

>Jill's comments on CoH snipped for space.

I have finally got myself back on line after a lengthy absence and its
good to see the regulars still chatting about good old Hawkwind.

Whilst Church of Hawkwind is the topic here, a couple of questions:

Numero uno: why the hell was the track order screwed up when the CD came
out? Did Dave Brock have something to do with this? One of the things I
always admired about the LP was the segueing of tracks and how the whole
thing fitted together, especially side 2. Can anyone shed any light on
this matter? I can only assume that to fit the new tracks in, the order
had to be changed somewhat to make them seem part of the whole rather
than a supplemental add on.

Numero two: I had been into Hawkwind for about 3 years when CoH came
out. I knew very little behind the scenes stuff about the group because
I don`t think Kris Tait`s book had come out then. However, the album
mentions Dr. Technical - is the first time Dave used this name or had he
done so earlier?

Now to a couple of aside observations which could be appropriate given
the title of the album mentioned above.

Many years ago, I was travelling on a train on the mainline into Kings
Cross at London. Just south of Finsbury Park station sits the Rainbow
Theatre, a sadly neglected monument to times past. This huge theatre is
out of use at present which is a crying shame, especially considering
the historicl moments it has seen. Anyway, sitting the other side of the
coach were a couple of people and one said as we passed this theatre,
"that was where I first saw Hawkwind". I looked over and recognised the
look of someone who was reliving a special moment in their life.

Then, recently I was on a long tedious flight back to the UK from
Canada. I got talking with the bloke sitting next to me and it turned
out he was a Hawkwind fan as well! None of my mates are into Hawkwind so
it was really great to be able to communicate with someone first hand
about such a brilliant group. When the topic of conversation got round
to gigs, it was quite amusing in that we both sort of drifted off when
describing the first time we saw Hawkwind live. Chuch of Hawkwind
indeed!!!

Whenever I have discussed other groups with people, there never seems to
be such a special degree of some sort of "event" that there is with
Hawkwind. What is it about Hawkwind that makes people think of them in
such a special way? Anyone care to comment on this?

Many thanks,

Mark Edmonds